Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone had any dealings with SpeedMaxPC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wannabike

Wannabike

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but it does involve security, in a way. A couple of years ago my computer was sluggish and I bought SpeedMaxPC to try and speed it up a little. I forgot about buying it until my Paypal account was charged $29.95 about a month ago. Since I had paid the fee, I downloaded it to the computer I'm using now but had to call them to get the Key ID to activiate it. I called the number from the website. I told the man that answered that I needed to get my Key ID. He had a very strong Indian accent but I was able to understand a few things. He told me he had just had two calls about the KeyID and that SpeedMaxPc was a big ripoff. He then wanted access to my computer for some reason that I couldn't understand, even after I asked him to repeat it. I denied him access because 1)he SpeedMaxPC's phone and then proceeded to tell me how bad they were and 2)i couldn't understand why he wanted access to my computer. Has anyone had any dealings at all with these people?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

SpeedMaxPc is a downloadable software system that claims to give users “High Tech PC Optimization” by scanning their computer, identifying the “bugs,” cleaning their system, and then protecting them from future problems.

SpeedMaxPc is free to download and, once downloaded, will conduct a free scan of your computer, both hard drive and registry, to see where there are areas that could be addressed to have your computer run more efficiently.

In addition, SpeedMaxPc will scan your computer for spyware and malware and show you the specific issues that can be treated with their software.

However, these problems and areas of inefficiency will not be fixed by SpeedMaxPc unless you decide to purchase the software at a price of $29.99. Once you have purchased the software, SpeedMaxPc will begin fixing the issues so your computer can more efficiently.

And once your current problems are corrected, SpeedMaxPc also offers continual protection against spyware and malware so that future viruses cannot affect your computer’s performance.

Programs like these are nothing more than revenue generators. The things they claim to do are things that anyone can do with the assistance and advice from reputable and trusted forums ( bleepingcomputer.com ). 

Don't waste your money or time.

#3 Wannabike

Wannabike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks sikntired. I was just baffled by the guy that answered their phone and wanted access to my computer when all I wanted was the KeyID since I had already paid for it. They had charged my Paypal account 3 years in a row and I couldn't find anyway to cancel on their website so I cancelled them from Paypal. I'm so glad I stumbled on this site!!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Wannabike

Wannabike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thank you for the info quietman. I'm so thankful that I found Bleeping Computer and I've been telling everyone about it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Should have elaborated a little more but quietman7 did that with the posted thread. However keep in mind that any product that advertises registry cleaning should be

regarded as suspect in that it should be treated as Snake Oil as so many of this forum have espoused.

Regards...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users