Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Running On Windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

Is it possible to run a Mac-based program on windows? Are there downloadable programs or any program that will interpret it and run the program as if it was running on a mac?

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

You still cannot run a Mac program on a Windows based PC yet that I am aware of. But I did find a site thats shows you how to Run Mac OS X on a PC. Not exactly what you are asking but close.

Be (Apples and PC's) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:20 AM

emulation is what you need to do. you emulate the powerpc architecture that mac uses on your x86 computer. the whole concept of mac/windows running on each others hardware is changing and developing rapidly. there's lots of news stories coming out about it. lots of different ways to do things. dual booting mac/windows, very interesting. animal's link to pearpc is "thee" program to use.

check this out!!! i've been dying to show this off, looool. i did it!!! i'm running os x tiger on my xp. it's a little complicated to do and it runs a little slow but it works great. the problem is that it runs painfully slow actually. emulating tiger is really in the alpha experimenting stage. i think older versions might run a little faster. basically it runs from an iso image on a virtual hard drive. pearpc has to convert the iso image and then convert from the powerpc architecture to x86 architecture. this means that os x runs about 40 times slower than normal. on a 3.0 Ghz cpu tiger runs at about 77Mhz. imagine running tiger on a P-77, looooooool. actually it seems to run pretty good. i just have to wait about 60 seconds for safari to open. you can also share files between os x and windows and use the printer. i'm still working on this tho. this was a great learning experience for me and also lots of fun. i can run several versions of linux in vmplayer and now os x in pearpc. i've had all 3 running at one time, xp, ubuntu, tiger. i call this my win-mac-inux machine, looooool. :thumbsup:

here's some good links;
http://os-emulation.net/pearpc/web/index.html
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html
http://www.pearpc.net/index.php

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cybormoron, 10 April 2006 - 12:49 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

That's awesome. How do I go about setting up PearPC? I'm assuming I need a copy of Mac, what then? How do I go about this whole process. And I'm running on an AMD, will that effect anything?

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

it's quite complicated and time consuming TheYoda. at least it was for me. i spent a few days reading and studying and outlining the steps involved and trying to understand what was being said from those tutorials. and even then i had to improvise some things. but the first time is always the hardest, loool. my first 2 attempts failed. they say it takes about 4 hours to actually install but it took over 14 hours on my machine. i had interfered with the process when it was installing the first 2 times at about the 6 hour mark with 8 hours to go and had to start over. before that there was about an 8 hour wait while the burning software was making an iso image of OS X. but i finally got it. also i had to spend 130 US dollars for a legal copy of the mac tiger for this crazy experiment and i don't even get to realize it's true beauty or full potential. i'm eagerly awaiting further developement of pearpc emulation though.

in my opinion this isn't very practical. there are some issues. i went with OS X tiger. prior versions may work better and may not have these issues. (panther, darwin)
1. it's extremely slow.
2. there's no sound support. so that means no itunes, damn.
3. i'm unsure if it's possible to install additional applications.
4. pearpc/tiger emulation is really alpha experimental.
i basically just did this to see if i could do it and to maybe see what it was like to run OS X.

to answer your questions. i recommend that you study the tutorials from my links above. i made a list of what i needed from the tutorials. then i outlined the procedures and improvised where i had to. then i spent alot of time reading the posts at pearpc. that's how i did it. i basically had to learn everything from scratch.

here's a rough outline. this is just a rough explaination and i may have errors or omissions.
1. you will need about 5 things; a) a copy of mac OS X installation DVD. (preferably panther). b ) pearpc software c) a virtual hard drive. one is available from the tutorial site. takes about 6 Gb's of space. d) a burning program to make an iso image of os x. there are only a couple available for this because pc software will not read a mac disk. don't install this till you are ready to actually burn the image as they are trialware. e) openvpn software for adding a second address to your nic card.

2. create a directory for the virtual hard drive. "c:\pearpc" is preferred. you can put everything into this folder.

3. burn your iso image. takes a few hours.

4. you then need to configure pearpc. there's a file that you edit with wordpad. basically tell it where to find the iso image and the virtual hard drive.

5. install os x from the iso to your virtual hd. takes several hours.

6. edit pearpc again so that it can boot os x.

7. enjoy, looool.

so, like i say you will have to study a little bit to get all these ducks in a row. i liked this tutorial; http://os-emulation.net/pearpc/web/index.html
and the pearpc forums are good help http://www.pearpc.net/forums.php
please do read those and decide if you still wanna try it. good luck.

Edited by cybormoron, 12 April 2006 - 01:15 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

Thanks. I'm going to try Panther, being that I can get a legite after-market install from eBay. It's signifacently cheaper and as you said more likely to be faster. I just ordered Panther and it should be here within a week or so. I'm also ordering more RAM to top my mobo out at 2GBs (2 Dual-channel 512s). Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help. When I get it going, I'll contact you to tell you how it went. :thumbsup:

And do you know if it will work on a SCSI HDD?

Edited by TheYoda, 12 April 2006 - 04:17 PM.

#7 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

yes definitely post a screenshot. more ram is good. i must confess that i'm a n00b with puters so i don't even know what scsi is. as long as pearpc runs i reckon you're ok. mac panther will be running from the preformatted virtual hard drive.

have you looked at other options? i just googled "emulate mac" and got alot of good results. looks like there's many other ways of doing this. also i think the sourceforge link has an opensource version of darwin for free. i may look into some of the different options myself and just wait for pearpc upgrade developement. i'm a little concerned about the slowness and the lack of sound support. it is somewhat impracticle as it is now. before you spend any money why not see what you can do for free? i should have went this way myself. the first link i found looks promising. http://www.emulators.com/softmac.htm

have you tried running linux with vmplayer? this is suse. there's alot of other distros available and they're all free!!!!
Posted Image

Edited by cybormoron, 12 April 2006 - 07:08 PM.

#8 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

double-post, grrr...

Edited by TheYoda, 12 April 2006 - 08:10 PM.

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:09 PM

Thanks, but the SoftMac only supports older versions of Mac that won't support the application I'd like to run. It's still awesome and I may want to try it on my older computer. What's SUSE and VMPlayer?

#10 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

suse is a linux distro (pronounced suza)
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuSE

vmplayer is like an emulator. you can run linux, bsd, windows on top of windows or linux. i don't think it will run mac but it's similar to pearpc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Edited by cybormoron, 12 April 2006 - 10:00 PM.

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

I got SuSE to work on my old machine. I'm using it now. It's really awesome only I had to remove my video card and now I'm using the onboard one with only 11MB of video memory :thumbsup:. I haven't figured out how to take a screenshot because it's not the same as windows, lol. When I figure it out, I'll post one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users