Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop boots to black screen with moving cursor...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Louey

Louey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi all,

Just joined the forum. I have a friends acer laptop with win7 on it and it only boots to a black screen with a movable cursor in both normal and safe mode. I've tried restoring to either of two available restore points from the last 3 days and after restoring it does the same thing. I've tried choosing an earlier restore point from 2 weeks ago but it craps out with an error about google toolbar. I've scanned the hard drive in an external docking station with MSE and Malwarebytes and nothing is found. There have been 2 windows updates in the past week, one being yesterday and the other on Apr 30th. Wondering if one of those might have caused a problem and if so how do I go about uninstalling them? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as I've googled myself into a tizzy trying to fix it.

Thanks...

Louey...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to BC

Have you tried these?

How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7
Why it's Sometimes Necessary to Run a Startup Repair 3 Times to Create Windows Boot Files to Another, New Location
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Louey

Louey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried the Startup Repair 3x(reboot after each one) and all 3x it didn't find any problem. Tried changing the active partition to the windows partition and ran the recovery cd and it found an error, supposedly fixed it then booted into the usual black screen movable cursor. At one point the cursor gets the thinking blue circle then just sits there.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi

What about safemode ?. Did you tried to boot to safemode and what is the result ?

#5 Louey

Louey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Safe mode gave the same result. Black screen movable cursor. I even tried imaging the drive to another drive and booting with it thinking maybe the hard drive was bad(tested ok with WD software and came out fine). But it still did the same boot to a blackscreen with movable cursor. When it first gets to the blackscreen you get the thinking blue circle briefly like its thinking and the hard drive light flashes and then the hard drive light just stops. Like its getting stuck loading something.

Edited by Louey, 03 May 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi

There are two Windows updates which caused various issues and subsequently canceled by Microsoft. They even created a boot CD which repairs the systems which becomes non bootable after applying those updates. Those updates are    KB2782476 and KB2823324. 

Read the below link for more info and use the repair CD if that updates are installed in your system.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 May 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#7 Louey

Louey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

So I tried the boot cd from Microsoft and it did its thing, but same result of black screen movable cursor. Pretty much at my wits end.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Did you How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7?

Is so, then you can use System Image Recovery in the Windows Recovery Environment to restore System Image.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi

If you have the Win 7 install DVD or system repair CD, try restoring registry from 'regback' folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users