Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Gone Mad

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zheeph

zheeph

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Hey all. Before anything, I'm new around here, and I'm in serious need of help. I hate to ask for it this way but I'm getting desperate.
I have an external hard drive made by Western Digital. 
It's a WD 10EADS External Hard Drive, and the problems WERE the following:
- I had 3 partitions, I could access one, the other two not only had the space (total and remaining) unavailable for me to learn, but also their volume name wouldn't show.
- The disk left my PC without reaction unless I unplugged the USB cable at certain points.
Example: Skype wouldn't log in, programs wouldn't complete instalation/uninstalation, etc. unless I unplugged it from the usb port.
- I was unable to use the data on any of the three (on the first one I could only SEE it), as the disk was too slow to access.

What I tried:
- Several disk regeneration programs, most couldn't even touch the disk as they would crash without even performing any actions.
The only one that touched it was HDD Regenerator, which said it had healed some sectors, but however, if I go back there, the same sectors remain crushed and get healed again eventually. The program also accused the drive of not being ready after some time healing and searching some sectors. (15 to 30 sectors into the search)

- Removed the drive from it's shell to see if what was causing the problem was the "shell" itself and connected it to windows, the "shell" runs correctly, causes no lag inside windows, and is recognized correctly. I then inserted the disk back into it, obviously.

- Connecting it to my PS3, it also made the PS3 run slow and unresponsively.
- Tried it on another computer, same problems.

What IS the problem right now:
- The partitions don't appear at all in windows (yes, the three partitions I used to have no longer show, anywhere).
- At first when I went to Disk Management, the physical drive wouldn't show, but now it shows after a pop up appears asking me to initialize the drive inside windows, and it then shows with the original 931.51Gb free and unallocated (it's a 1TB external hard drive).
- I really need the data in there, I don't really have the choice of simply trying to format the whole thing again inside the Disk Management.

Extra info:
- Two partitions in were NTFS, the other one was FAT32 (which I was using with my PS3 and if I'm not mistaken, was the one that was working minimally).
- One of the partitions has about 600gb of space, most of which I need recovered, and is one of the two partitions that wasn't showing any data or volume name in Windows.
- I use windows 7.
- I'm totally desperate and I'd do anything to get this fixed, so I'm begging for your help. Sorry I came into the forum like this.

It could be a physical problem, but I don't think it is as the disk spins correctly without any weird noises, and is recognized inside windows. If that was the case wouldn't it simply not work?

I'd appreciate some help with this. So... Please. I'll be waiting, searching for solutions either way in the meantime. 

Edit: I tried Western Digital's Lifeguard Diagnostics, and it doesn't detect the physical drive at all. When windows itself does.
After some time I'm realizing that although the disk appears at disk management, it's never able to initialize due to the following error: "The drive cannot find the sector requested."

Edited by zheeph, 02 May 2013 - 07:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

So your hard drive has got 3 partitions, but you can only access the data on 1 of them? Can windows identify all the partitions?

To be honest it's looking as though you might need to format the whole drive and start again, it could be something to do with the fact that two partitions are ntfs and the other fat32. I don't know whether your PS3 would have altered any of the wrong partitions with its own data, which would then make it wrongly read by windows.

But I'm only making guesses.

#3 zheeph

zheeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

So your hard drive has got 3 partitions, but you can only access the data on 1 of them? Can windows identify all the partitions?

Used to, at least. Now none. I've realized that's because the disk isn't being initialized. I believe my priority should be how to initialize it successfully. Then move on to the first problems I had, if they're still there.

Edited by zheeph, 02 May 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#4 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Go to BIOS to check if BIOS can recognize the external HD.

Also you can try to use these command below:

1 Run CMD with administrator

2 Input diskpart and press Enter

3 Input these command:

DISKPART> SELECT DISK n (n is the disk number)
DISKPART> ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY
DISKPART> ONLINE DISK
DISKPART> CONVERT MBR

Hope that helps.

Also

A program to test whether the drive is knackered.

Go to: http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1208.exe

click save, when the download completes, click run and follow the installation instructions.

After the installation, plug in your external hard drive and run the application.
If it detects your device, make sure the S.M.A.R.T status says PASS. If it says FAILED, then run an extended test.

Edited by Hawkers, 02 May 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#5 zheeph

zheeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Go to BIOS to check if BIOS can recognize the external HD.

I already did and it's there. It's name beautifully shown in the list along with the other drives. Sorry I didn't mention in the first post. It's just that I've been trying so many things, it's hard to keep track of them all.

I'll try what you're recommending right now. I'll be posting the outcome in a while.

#6 zheeph

zheeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Every single test other than the advanced ones which I didn't try, failed. I also tried the commands you provided, no use.
Here are two pictures with data that your program collected.

http://imgur.com/pN0ceKc

http://imgur.com/VVqSIIj

Edited by zheeph, 02 May 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#7 zheeph

zheeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

It's weird how it doesn't seem to detect... Anything. It's all a bunch of negatives and zeros.

#8 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

I probably can't help you any further, hopefully someone else might come along.

But beings the software or those commands can't actually contact the drive and is getting no response, your drive is possibly dead.

#9 zheeph

zheeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I probably can't help you any further, hopefully someone else might come along.

But beings the software or those commands can't actually contact the drive and is getting no response, your drive is possibly dead.

I refuse to believe that. I'll keep looking for things I can do.
Thank you for your help so far.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Would it be worth booting up with a Linux disk, (Linux Mint my favourite), which should show anything on the external drive;  you could copy off your data and then deal with the disk problem.

Edited by petewills , 03 May 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#11 zheeph

zheeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Would it be worth booting up with a Linux disk, (Linux Mint my favourite), which should show anything on the external drive;  you could copy off your data and then deal with the disk problem.

That already came to my mind and seems like a pretty good plan. But I'll have to ask permition to a person who is lending me the hard drive in which I have windows 7 installed right now if I can actually do it, since my computer went through some other non-related problems and is now using parts that aren't mine. I'll see what I can do.

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

Good Luck!    :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users