Hey all. Before anything, I'm new around here, and I'm in serious need of help. I hate to ask for it this way but I'm getting desperate.
I have an external hard drive made by Western Digital.
It's a WD 10EADS External Hard Drive, and the problems WERE the following:
- I had 3 partitions, I could access one, the other two not only had the space (total and remaining) unavailable for me to learn, but also their volume name wouldn't show.
- The disk left my PC without reaction unless I unplugged the USB cable at certain points.
Example: Skype wouldn't log in, programs wouldn't complete instalation/uninstalation, etc. unless I unplugged it from the usb port.
- I was unable to use the data on any of the three (on the first one I could only SEE it), as the disk was too slow to access.
What I tried:
- Several disk regeneration programs, most couldn't even touch the disk as they would crash without even performing any actions.
The only one that touched it was HDD Regenerator, which said it had healed some sectors, but however, if I go back there, the same sectors remain crushed and get healed again eventually. The program also accused the drive of not being ready after some time healing and searching some sectors. (15 to 30 sectors into the search)
- Removed the drive from it's shell to see if what was causing the problem was the "shell" itself and connected it to windows, the "shell" runs correctly, causes no lag inside windows, and is recognized correctly. I then inserted the disk back into it, obviously.
- Connecting it to my PS3, it also made the PS3 run slow and unresponsively.
- Tried it on another computer, same problems.
What IS the problem right now:
- The partitions don't appear at all in windows (yes, the three partitions I used to have no longer show, anywhere).
- At first when I went to Disk Management, the physical drive wouldn't show, but now it shows after a pop up appears asking me to initialize the drive inside windows, and it then shows with the original 931.51Gb free and unallocated (it's a 1TB external hard drive).
- I really need the data in there, I don't really have the choice of simply trying to format the whole thing again inside the Disk Management.
- Two partitions in were NTFS, the other one was FAT32 (which I was using with my PS3 and if I'm not mistaken, was the one that was working minimally).
- One of the partitions has about 600gb of space, most of which I need recovered, and is one of the two partitions that wasn't showing any data or volume name in Windows.
- I use windows 7.
- I'm totally desperate and I'd do anything to get this fixed, so I'm begging for your help. Sorry I came into the forum like this.
It could be a physical problem, but I don't think it is as the disk spins correctly without any weird noises, and is recognized inside windows. If that was the case wouldn't it simply not work?
I'd appreciate some help with this. So... Please. I'll be waiting, searching for solutions either way in the meantime.
Edit: I tried Western Digital's Lifeguard Diagnostics, and it doesn't detect the physical drive at all. When windows itself does.
After some time I'm realizing that although the disk appears at disk management, it's never able to initialize due to the following error: "The drive cannot find the sector requested."
Edited by zheeph, 02 May 2013 - 07:07 AM.