Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hi Admin | Site Admin | Global Moderator | Moderator | BC Advisor | Malware Response Team | Malware Study Hall Admin | Malware Response Instructor | Malware Study Hall Senior | Malware Study Hall Junior | Malware Study Hall Sophomore | Security Developer

This is a suggestion!! 

I have seen in all the responses that to use tools to remove the infection and I have never seen any manual steps to remove an infection. I agree that there will be people who cannot do those steps manually. For them, I would suggest the tools.

Now coming to the point, what I would suggest is to have a forum set to have the steps to be done in detail. We can have a section for Major infections.

This is only a suggestion and rest lies in you.

Thanks and Regards

Aswin V

Twitter: @Socialjeevi

Edited by vaswin, 02 May 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Regards

Social Jeevi

Follow me on twitter: @socialjeevi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

The Am I Infected forum should be used for that. I think that would be a good place for those who need additional help with the instructions.

#3 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

So Grinler, do you support me with my views that we should also have a place where we can post the manual steps?

Regards

Social Jeevi

Follow me on twitter: @socialjeevi

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I think if a user needs manual instructions, then the Am I Infected or the Virus Removal Section is the best place for it.

#5 firestormerc

firestormerc

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I agree with Grinler. The Am I Infected or the Virus Removal Section is the best place for those manual instructions.

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

More often than not, these infections generate random file names or have file names that sound legitimate but are in the wrong location.  Sometimes these files are, in fact, legitimate files that have been compromised, and sometimes the infection comes armed with a runtime packer that will rename the file and hide itslef somewhere else.  These things can make manual removal tricky, although not impossible.  People who are savvy enough to attempt manual disinfection without guidence from one of the many advisors on this site will be able to make use of the guides that already exist for specific infections.  Everyone else should probably just stick with posting in the existing "Am I Infected" forum.  However, if you have a guide you think might be useful for the removal of a specific threat, or some general guidelines, why not submit it to the administrators for review?  It couldn't hurt, and may help someone out quite a bit. :)

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users