Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open Attachments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lfshadow

lfshadow

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

I can't open any attachments I am getting from a particular person (from a yahoo.com email adddress.  I have aol email).  They are .bmp files,and I have paint and a few other programs that should open them, but it wont open them.  These appear to be documents that he has scanned and then emailed the file to me as attachments.

If I left click on the attachment, I get a box showing "File Download" "Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it.

If I click save it looks like it's saving, but never makes any progress.  If I click on FIND to go online and find a program to open it, it goes to the windows file association website and lists programs, some of which I already have.

If at the start I right click on the attachment, there is no "open" or Open with" or anthing like that.  If I open "Properties" it shows:

Protocol:  HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP), not encrypted, address:  http://mail.aol.com/37688-111/aol-6/ea-us/Suite.aspx

Why won't these attachments open withany of the programs I have that are supposed to open bmp files?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

While waiting for other members to drop in some suggestions, please post the operating system and browser/version being used. See also here.

Edited by jhayz, 03 May 2013 - 01:42 AM.

Tekken

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

The other person can try to send them to a file hosting service such as mediafire.com and then you can download them from there and see if you can then open them.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

Do you open attachments with external email program like Windows Live Mail or Outlook 2010 or a webmail like hotmail, gmail rooms, etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users