Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build dead after one month, PSU will not power up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Newbphi

Newbphi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I built a new computer with the following components

MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2400 CPU (this was bundled with the motherboard)
CoolerMaster eXtreme 500W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) RAM
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Video Card
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD
Samsung 128GB SSD
Samsung DVD Burner

I assembled this and it worked great. Then, a month later, I came home to find the computer off. It puts itself to sleep after a while, but the LED on the power switch would still be lit and it was off. The PSU would not power up and the fan would not begins spinning. I tried all the usual troubleshooting.

I first checked the PSU. I disconnected the 24 pin power supply from the motherboard and jumped from the green cable to a ground. The power supply turned on, the LEDs on the case lit up and I could hear my drive spin up.

I disconnected everything from the motherboard, removed it from the case and set it on a non conductive surface. Then I tried to power it up with just the CPU and one stick of ram. Nothing. I have tried multiple different sticks.

I contacted MSI and returned my motherboard for a refurbished one. Nothing.

I contacted Intel and replaced the CPU. Nothing.

I know that the I received a new motherboard from MSI because it has a different serial number. I still have both boxes and the new board has a new serial number. I know that I have a new processor because I still have both of them.

I believe I have eliminated everything that could possibly be wrong. I am at my wits end.  Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

If you have a spare power supply, you can give that a try.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Newbphi

Newbphi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

I have tried a different power supply with the same results.

#4 Newbphi

Newbphi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Ok, traced the problem to a bad power switch.  By jumping across the power switch pins I can get the power supply to turn on and all the fans start spinning and the drives spin.  But the power supply only stays on for a couple seconds and shuts off again.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Ok, traced the problem to a bad power switch.

Not that it helps now, but that was my first guess.  You said you tested the motherboard outside the case and I assumed you had already jumped the pins directly.  Never assume.

Clear CMOS, make sure board isn't stuck/set in "reset/clear CMOS mode".  Like before, no hard drive/optical or accessories plugged into board or PSU.  Just CPU, one stick of memory and video card.  Doublecheck you CPU cooler for proper contact.

Wish you luck........and patience.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Newbphi

Newbphi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

It was a bad power switch adapter that came with the mobo.  Removed that and we're back in business.  I had not tried jumping the pins with a screwdriver, but that finally found the problem.  Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users