Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system_service_exception followed by blackscreen on reboot.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nakomis

Nakomis

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

errorqs.png

So I was working with ms word processor then I get this lovely blue screen with system_service_exception at the bottom. I let Windows do it's thing and gather information but it got stuck at the 100% mark, so I took a 15 minute walk came back and it was still stuck at the 100% mark. I held down the power button assuming the blasted thing had frozen, a huge mistake. Now my PC turns on buts the screen on my monitor stays black as if my PC wasn't on. No mouse courser, no boot screen, just nothing.

Things I've tried- Clearing the cmos, removing SSDs one at a time, plugged my DVI-I cable into the other video card's DVI-I slot, rebooting PC with instalation disk in disk drive(disk drive is still responsive while in black screen), monitor works as I've tested it with my xbox 360 to see if the problem was with the monitor.

If it helps here are my specs

CPU: AMD FX-8150 4.2GHz 8-core processor
RAM: 32Gb DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Vengeance
Video card 1: EVGA 2GB super-clocked GTX 660
Video card 2: EVGA 2GB super-clocked GTX 660
Solid State drive 1: 120GB Kingston SSD
Solid State drive 2: 64GB Transcend SSD
Operating system: Windows 8 64-bit
Power supply: 1,000 watt Kentek

Any assistance you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi Nakomis

Can you boot the system in to safemode ?    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-boot-into-windows-8-safe-mode/

Until the issue is resolved disconnect the secondary SSD. Only connect the SSD with OS in it. 

Did you recently installed any Windows update or driver update ?

If you can then do a system restore to a point prior to this error happens. If you can't access safemode we need to use Win 8 setup DVD for troubleshooting. Do you have the setup disc or system repair disc ?

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 May 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#3 Nakomis

Nakomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hi Nakomis

Can you boot the system in to safemode ?    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-boot-into-windows-8-safe-mode/

Until the issue is resolved disconnect the secondary SSD. Only connect the SSD with OS in it. 

Did you recently installed any Windows update or driver update ?

If you can then do a system restore to a point prior to this error happens. If you can't access safemode we need to use Win 8 setup DVD for troubleshooting. Do you have the setup disc or system repair disc ?

Thank you for your response, as mentioned above I have already tried detaching and booting my SSD drives individually. For the moment I've left the 2nd SSD detached, still getting the black screen. Also can you intruct me how to boot into safemode without an interface, as the black screen makes it notorious difficult to see what I'm doing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Hi

To access safe mode you should press either F8 or shift+F8 combination. What you should see an 'advanced recovery mode' screen. You will be presented with 3 options - 'continue' , 'troubleshoot' and 'Turn off' .From there you can access safemode. Here is a detailed guide with picture illustration.

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Once you are able to access the 'advanced recovery menu' perform an 'automatic repair' . Select 'Troubleshoot--->advanced options--->automatic repair'.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

If you can't access the advanced options menu (via F8) we should use Win8 install DVD for further steps.

#5 Nakomis

Nakomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi

To access safe mode you should press either F8 or shift+F8 combination. What you should see an 'advanced recovery mode' screen. You will be presented with 3 options - 'continue' , 'troubleshoot' and 'Turn off' .From there you can access safemode. Here is a detailed guide with picture illustration.

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Once you are able to access the 'advanced recovery menu' perform an 'automatic repair' . Select 'Troubleshoot--->advanced options--->automatic repair'.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

If you can't access the advanced options menu (via F8) we should use Win8 install DVD for further steps.

I have already stated I'm getting a black upon booting, that means there is absolutely no user interface whatsoever to interact with. Nevertheless I did try hitting f8 repeatedly and I'm still getting a black screen. Considering the problem is present at bios startup, safemode probably wouldn't help anyways.

Furthermore windows 8 should have automatically booted into safemode when it failed to start, also windows 8 cannot boot via F8 during startup without forcing it to with command prompt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

I would like to mention I am computer literate, so I don't need to be spoonfed and I can take apart my PC without damaging it. I do my own upgrades and have the necessary skill-set to build PCs. However I find myself stumped and I am in need of professional assistance. Any help a staff member can render will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Nakomis, 02 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Nakomis

Nakomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Edit: Accidental double post.

Edited by Nakomis, 02 May 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hi

If you know the basic repair steps why don't you try the repair options from Win 8 DVD  ?. What happens to you  probably is a NTFS file system corruption due to improper shutdown. Running a check disk in 'System reserved' and 'OS' partitions and updating the boot code from setup DVD may solve the black screen issue. Since you are an expert in PC i guess you already know how to do that.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 May 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#8 Nakomis

Nakomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hi

If you know the basic repair steps why don't you try the repair options from Win 8 DVD  ?. What happens to you  probably is a NTFS file system corruption due to improper shutdown. Running a check disk in 'System reserved' and 'OS' partitions and updating the boot code from setup DVD may solve the black screen issue. Since you are an expert in PC i guess you already know how to do that.

I never stated I was an "expert", if I was an "expert" I would not be seeking professional help in the area I'm supposedly a master in. Please do not put words in my mouth. You have been skimming my posts and not reading them; which not only unhelpful but extremely rude. If you had bothered to read my posts you would have understood I have already tried your all of your suggestions before you suggested them, also you would understand that I do not have a working user-interface as my screen is black.

Also keep in mind like many indivuals in the modern world my computer plays a vital part in my life, I need it up ASAP. Maybe I've offended you and if I have I'm sorry. I'm not trying to offend you when I start to look for help elsewhere.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hi

Yes, it was my mistake not to carefully read you post. My English is not good and i initially thought what you got is a black screen when booting Windows. What i misunderstood is that you can see the BIOS screen. 

You didn't mention removing your Graphics card and resetting. Just plug the main Video card only and try to boot. If it is not working try the another one (swapping, just like RAM). May be one of you card is faulty.

As you mobo is an SLI one i guess you don't have any on board VGA to test. 

kindly accept my apologies for misunderstanding your post. 

#10 Nakomis

Nakomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Turns out something got knocked loose as my PC booted up just fine when I moved it across the room.

Thank you for your quick responses.

Thread close please.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. I think it might be the Graphic card which created the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users