Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Press F1 to retry boot, press F2....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 op684

op684

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hi,

I had a virus on my PC, and decided to reinstall XP.  My CD drive stopped working and long story short I took it off its connectors and threw it in the trash, so now my PC doesn't have a CD drive or any other drive.  Now, I decided to take out the hard drive (Baracuda 7200.7, 80GB, Model Number ST380011A, Firmware 3.16, Date Code 04185, COnfig DZT-06, HDA P/N 100275523, P/N 9W2003-032), put it in my other PC, reinstall the XP, and put it back in to the first PC.  Which I did.  Except now, it won't boot up, and gives me the "Press F1 to retry boot, press F2 to go to configuration..." message.

I disabled OS Install mode in BIOS.  Don't know what else to try.  I tried again to put the drive into my working PC, and it loads just fine with the new XP.  Put it back in to the old, and it doesn't work. 

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 op684

op684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

The drive is recognized in the BIOS just fine, it shows the model number and size.

#3 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Can you boot from the windows xp disc?

If so, try these instructions.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

OR

Reinstall the hard drive in the computer you installed it on, boot it and go into device manager and delete all of the detected hardware.  Don't reboot.  Install the HD in the system you want to run it in, reboot and cross your fingers.  The whole idea is to get the OS to default to standard drivers so it will at least boot and the correct drivers can be installed.

Never ever count on installing Windows on one system and being able to migrate it to another build.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 May 2013 - 09:36 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 op684

op684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

dpunisher, I will try that and let you know.  Thank you!!! :)  Never thought migrating a hard drive would run into so many problems.

Hawkers, like I mentioned before, I don't have a CD/DVD drive on the original system, unless you're talking about my other PC to which I connected the hard drive and from which I reinstalled the OS.  In this case, the OS loads just fine on this system, so not sure if that will be of any help. But thank you anyway!

Edited by op684, 06 May 2013 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users