Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop wireless adapter dissapears from device manager..... sometimes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kanyewest

kanyewest

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4056 which has an internal wireless adapter and no physical swicth to turn it on/off. only by pressing fn key and F8. So the only way the laptop recognizes the wireless adapter is if I plug in the power cord, turn it off while power cord is plugged in. Before turning it on I have to unplug to power cord and then power the laptop on. That seems to be the only way the wireless adapter gets even recognized by system. Its not even in device manager. Only when I do the above procedure (which doesn't always work) is when i can connect to the internet (wifi). After wifi is connected I can connect the power cord and it functions good. ethernet port works fine. need some help
(oh and i did a system restore to a previous time when it was working properly but that didnt help) Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hi

Some laptops have a menu option in BIOS to disable WIFI and Bluetooth switches. I am not sure about Toshiba but you can give it a try.  Usually Toshiba Laptops are installed with a 'Config free utility' which is used to configure network devices. Try uninstall it and re install the latest version downloaded from the Toshiba site.

If that didn't helps try the following steps.

1.  Go to Device Manager, double click on Network  Adapters, right click on  your WIRELESS adapter, click on Power Management tab and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and click OK.

2.  Click on the Battery Icon in the System Tray, click on More Power Options, set your Power Plan to High Performance.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 May 2013 - 03:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users