Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Nvidia drivers - Royal Screw up!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 colvert

colvert

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

The other day I was using System Mechanic for computer clean up and I saw an area for checking and updating drivers.  I was told my NVIDIA drivers needed updated so I performed it.  My computer did not run right after doing this as firefox was not able to run (trying to run it would cause a black screen and reboot).  IE also had problems with high graphic websites.  I assumed it was the driver and maybe it was the wrong version.  Going to the NVIDIA website, I used their driver check and they said I was up to date.  I decided to really screw things up then and unistall the drivers and then I would reinstall them.  Now I have learned that the drivers helped connect to the internet so after uninstalling the drivers, I am not able to connect to the internet to re-install them.  To make matters worse, my D drive has not worked in a couple of weeks and I believe it is shot.

Currently, I am not able to connect to the internet or do much on the computer.  It seems the computer will reboot every 5 minutes or so once logged on.  As you can imagine, anything with graphics (Itunes) is not able to run either.

I figure I could probably download the NVIDIA drivers onto a thumb drive and then reinstall them on my computer.  I have not tried that yet and come to you for help and guidance.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi

Softwares like system mechanic , Advanced system care etc is generally not recommended and known to screw systems. I recommend uninstalling it.

I guess you installed drivers without uninstalling the old one. Please open "add remove programs" from control panel and remove all Nvidia components from there. Restart the system and you will have "VGA controller" with no drivers installed in the device manager. Now download latest drivers from Nvidia site and install it.

http://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in

If the above steps didn't solve the issue then perform a system restore to an earlier date in which system working fine. Read this guide before performing system restore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

If the issue still remain, please let us know. 

#3 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thank you for your help.  I will try to do as asked.  I forgot to say that I have already looked into system restore.  I have tried several selected dates and once rebooted, System restore states that it was not able to restore.

I will try what you suggested with uninstalling.  Thank you.

#4 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I was able to work on my computer at lunch.  I uninstalled the NVIDIA components and then restarted.  Once the computer was on,  a tutorial popped up that stated my NVIDIA files needed to be updated.  I allowed this to happen and restarted.  Afterwards, I was able to access ITunes and my computer was not rebooting every 5 minutes like it was earlier.  I still was not able to access the internet.  I have not attempted any restore points since this morning.

So right now, my problem is accessing the internet.  Do I need to continue with finding a restore point?  Or do I need to find out why I can not get an internet connection?

Thanks again.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Check your network connections if you have not done this already. Control Panel/Network. See if your connection is enabled. If not, enable it. If you have Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection check the one for whichever you were using. Wireless would be the one if any computers are connected wirelessly.

If that doesn't work, have you checked your network drivers? It's possible that something got knocked out when you ran System Mechanic.

If you are using onboard network (from the motherboard) one thing to try is uninstall the device, reboot, and let Windows find it and install generic Windows drivers.

To uninstall, just in case you need to know how

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager/Network Adapters.

Right click on the device, uninstall.

If your system has 2 devices listed one should be for a wired connection and one for wireless. Choose the appropriate one to uninstall. Wireless would be the one if any computers in your house connect wirelessly.

You can always reinstall the manufacturer drivers later.

If you need help with finding the appropriate drivers, assuming it is the network drivers causing the problem, post back with the manufacturer/model number of you computer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 May 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hi

What about other browsers ?. Can you access net with Google Chrome or IE ?

#7 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I believe the problem lies in the internet connection, or at least the computer connecting to the internet.  We have a wireless router and all of our products are working fine.  I have tried IE, Firefox and Chrome and none are able to connect.  When any of the browsers are tried, they state that they are not able to connect to the internet.  Would someone be able to walk me through some steps to re-connect?  I liked Queen Evies thoughts on  network drivers above, but I have not tried to uninstall/reinstall.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi

How did you connect to the internet - by LAN or WLAN ?

What is the status shown by network interface - connected , not connected or limited connectivity ?

Please follow the below steps to gather some info about your system.

Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

#9 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Can you please confirm that I can download Farbar and Minitoolbox to a thumbdrive on another computer and then download it onto my troubled computer.

#10 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Here are the 2 scans.

I have a desktop that is hardwired to the internet, so I guess I am connected through LAN.  We also have a wireless router that we have other units attached to.

I am not able to see the network interface image in my toolbar and I do not know of a way to check.

Thank you again for your help.

Attached Files

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

Hi

From the logs above you posted it looks like your LAN driver is missing. Please open device manager and look for any 'Yellow' or 'Exclamation' marked items. Also report  if there is an item named 'Network Adapters' in device manager. If yes, expand it and note down the number.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/f/opendmxp.htm

#12 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Ok, looking at my device manager, here are the icons with an exclamation point:

-NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

-Processors(x2) Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @1.80

-NVIDIA nForce System management Control

I do not see network adapter.  It lists Monitor and the one beneath it is NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator.

Thanks.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

Hi

It confirms your LAN driver is not installed. Do you know the make and model of your motherboard ? . If it is a Laptop or Branded PC post the make, model and service tag.

Do you have the driver CD for your system ?

Also posting a snapshot of your system using Speccy will be useful. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't paste the output of Speccy. Just copy the web link it displays.

#14 colvert

colvert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

I will do my best.  We bought our computer from an IT guy that serviced our computer at work, so I guess he "built it".  I found some user guides from him.  Would this make sense from a motherboard perspective?  MSI P6NGM series?

I have the cd's from the initial setup, but my D drive is dysfunctional at the moment as well :(.

I downloaded speccy to a thumbdrive and tried to publish a snapshot.  Speccy states, the server name or address could not be resolved.  When I looked at motherboard from speccy, it does state MSI-7366.

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hi

MSI P6NGM is an Nvidia chipset board and MSI-7366 is just an internal name of the same board. Please follow the directions below to install drivers.

1 ) Create s system restore point. If you don't know how to do it read this guide : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948247

2 ) We need to completely remove Nvidia drivers to install the Nvidia chipset driver from MSI. 

Open "Control Panel-->Add remove Programs-->Nvidia Drivers". You will be presented with 3 options. Select 'remove all' and restart the system. Open device manager and verify 'Display driver' and 'Nvidia Network bus enumerator' are uninstalled. You should get 'Standard VGA controller' , 'PCI bridge device' (or Ethernet controller) and 'SMbus' controller in yellow question mark. Once again open 'ADD Remove Programs' and make sure nothing related to Nvidia is there.

3 )Now download 'Nvidia chipset' driver from this link and install it - http://www.msi.com/service/download/driver-6691.html

Here is the support page of your motherboard - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P6NGM-FD.html#/?div=Driver&os=XP%2032

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users