Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/382389/cant-access-some-websites/ j- Hamluis.
I deleted my hosts file due to my computer (Windows 7) having signs of malware and virus infections. From then, the computer would not allow me to paste in another hosts file saying that there's already a file of the same name and that I need permission from etc folder. I followed every step from forums/t/382389/cant-access-some-websites/ but still nothing worked.
Here's what I've attempted:
1. I used Notepad (through running as administrator) to create a hosts file in safe mode but the computer would only allow me to save it as a text file. And if I tried to change the name with quotes ("hosts") in save as file type All files, there would be two messages saying:
hosts already exists. Do you want to replace it?
host, This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name.
2. Ran as administrator on mvps.bat with a blue message window that says:
The system cannot find the file specified. Access denied.
3. I tried Hostxpert and two warning messages that says:
Your hosts file is marked as a "system file" and can NOT be manipulated. Press OK to remove the system file attribute, CANCEL to Quit.
4. Ran cmd window using Dos Prompt and came up with:
A SHR C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
5. Ran hosts-perm.bat. A cmd window quick pops up and disappears. I then ran Hostxpert and the backup/restore button still can not be clicked.
Thanks for any advice.
Edited by zopa, 01 May 2013 - 11:01 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected, PM sent new OP - Hamluis.