Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing MSE update - error 0xc8000247

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'm writing this post to document an unusual fix for an unusual error.

I had MSE updates failing on a reinstalled machine. This didn't happen right after the reinstall, but only after a couple of days. The update fails and the error message is 0xc8000247.

This was due to Windows Update not working anymore. In the c:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file, I found several errors with error number 0xc8000247, like this one:

DtaStor    FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000247

When I opened Windows Update, it showed a red error. And when I tried to start update, I got a message that the service wasn't running (it was) and that I should restart the machine. "View update history" showed an empty screen, although I had successfully updated this machine when it was reinstalled. Like MSE, Windows Update too failed only after a couple of days.

The solution is to install an Intel driver for high density drives. This laptop has a WD 1TB drive. Everything worked fine on this machine, except Windows Update (and hence MSE update).

You can find the driver on HP's site:

"Error Messages Appear During Windows Update, When Inserting Card or Using Live Mail"

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Remark that this driver is from Intel, but HP packaged it. The laptop I fixed is not a HP laptop.

The reason I'm not linking to the forum page where I finally found this solution, is that this page first advices other fixes which were disrupting in this particular case.

One of the advices was to stop the Windows Update service and rename a Windows Update folder, but this did not fix my problem, but had as result that once I fixed the problem with the Intel driver, Windows Update was working again but it had lost its update history. I had to undo this folder renaming to get my history back.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 01 May 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users