Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scriptorex

scriptorex

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hi,
This is my first time building a pc, so far I have a coolermaster 431 plus case, and 8 gigs of ripjaw ram.
I plan on getting a fx-6100 and already have a radeon 4850. Thing is I still need onboard video because my monitor will occasionally refuse to work with the video card, so I have to get a micro board.
I want to get this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo
its a biostar 880. My case though, has front ports for headphones and usb, will that work with this board? Will all the other components work properly?

here the link to the case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119256

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

As long as both the monitor and video card are working properly then they will work with each other, it sounds like there is somethig wrong with the card if onboard video still works with the monitor, though it could be a problem with the computer setting the onboard as active on its own (thank you microsoft, Im assuming thats what you use)

You do not need to get a micro-ATX, you can get a standard ATX as well, either would fit in that case (regular ATX would allow more expansions later on, like RAM, more cards, etc)

As far as front USB and audio, yes they will work. Everything listed will work together.

#3 scriptorex

scriptorex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

thanks for the reply. The problem with the display is the monitor, it is a hanns-g that i got for like 100$, with the previous monitor this never happened but I have been dealing with it for more than a year now, its not a big deal as long as every few months i can switch to using the connector on the pc itself instead of the video card.

Thats great to hear about the front stuff, I was curious becease all these boards seem to just have ports for the headphone and usb on the back.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

That is very very strange.

Pretty much all motherboards have connections for front USB/headphones

if you look at the 3rd photo on the newegg page (birds eye view, directly above the board) on the left you see 3 red connectors (2x4 pins) the 2 next to each other are for front USB, and the one towards the top is the audio

is there any particular reason you want to go with a micro-ATX board?

#5 scriptorex

scriptorex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ahh...I see them, thanks for being so helpful. The reason for micro is that strange problem I have with the monitor, otherwise I would get a biostar ta970.

#6 scriptorex

scriptorex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

One more thing, is it true that a fx-6100 will not turbo on a 880 board?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

I'm not sure about that, however, you don't get the full suite of FX CPU enhancements without the AMD 900 series chipsets.  The 900 series was designed with a few enhancements for the FX line.  If you really, really need on-board graphics but don't game much, the Trinity APU's could be an alternative.

You mentioned monitor issues, does turning the monitor on and off or unplugging it from the wall for a minute do anything?  How about restarting the PC?

3939.png

#8 scriptorex

scriptorex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

I have a radeon 4850 so i'm not considering an apu. The monitor only acts up once a month or so, but when it does I have to plug it into the motherboard so it works, then after I turn it off plug it back to the video card and hope it works, when it does it works for a month or so. Doing this I must also leave the monitor on. I thought maybe this had something to do with the onboard not being disabled but I have vista and you are not supposed to need to do that anymore.

I would try disabling it anyway but I am concerned that if I do I will go to use it and nothing would work and then I couldnt turn the onboard back on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users