Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot The Acer Acros 468DX2/50

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TY19405

TY19405

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I dug out my dads old Acer Acros 468DX2/50 and i cant get it to boot into windows.

I have no idea what windows OS it runs (DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 is my best guess)

and when I boot it up it shows a bunch of stuff on the screen and then goes to to a screen that says 

"Insert system diskette and press <enter> key to reboot".

The problem is that i don't have a system diskette!

I also know that by what my dad has told me is that the windows OS is probably intact with all the files.

I would like to know how to make the PC boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Well its a 486 DX2 CPU running at 50Mhz an x86 CPU. If you have any of the software that went with this system look for a Bootable Floppy Disk which would be the DOS Installation disks or an emergency disk if he ever had Windows 95 on it. Back many years ago I ran Windows 98 SE on a 486 DX 33Mhz with 24MB RAM. While it was slow it worked. This system could be either Windows 3.xx or Windows 95. Finding the books and software for the system would be good to have if you still have them.

If you dont have any software but just this system, you could fix this system by creating a floppy disk of FreeDOS which is a FREE Open Source OS that mimics DOS and then use that to gain access to the C: drive and fix the boot of the C: drive to run Windows 3.xx, however if it is Windows 95, you will need the Windows 95 CD and a Bootable Windows 95 System Floppy Disk that has the CD-ROM drivers because most desktop computers of this time period did not support bootable CD's, and so you need a Floppy Disk with the CD ROM Drivers on it to mount the CD-ROM which might be a 4x CD ROM and then once the CD Rom is mounted then access the Windows 95 CD to install Windows 95.

I have run Windows 95 on a computer as old and limited resources as a 386 SX 25Mhz with 4MB RAM and 120MB HDD with about 45MB used by the OS, although it runs way better on 8MB RAM or more as well as runs better on a DX CPU vs a SX CPU.

If this system has 8MB or more of RAM, I'd install Windows 95 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138349

If this system has 24MB or more of RAM, I'd install Windows 98 SE http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138349 *Note they state 66Mhz CPU and yours is 50Mhz, I have run on as slow as a 486 DX 33Mhz Windows 98 SE although it is not the fastest performing at 33Mhz.

Windows 95 would be the best performance / features for this CPU

*Also this is not a computer that I would even think about using online. If you are able to get onto the internet it will be a horrible experience of pages that wont load completely etc because technology has changed so greatly over the years. With Windows 95 I was running Internet Explorer 3.0 which I got on a seperate CD to install. I havent had Windows 95 connected to the internet since around 2000 when I moved completely over to Windows 98SE, and then moved completely over from Windows 98SE to XP in 2002.

As far as Windows 3.1 etc, the last time I had that OS onto the Internet, it was very early Internet with Prodigy in 1994.

Edited by goldfist, 03 January 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

yeah 3.1 is rought, you will be lucky to be able to handle the connection at all.  Might have to set the pardy bit to connect, wow.... did I just say that. 

As far as disks go you might beable to find them http://archive.org/web/

This is the link to the offical archive of internet sites, so go back to 1993 or 1994 ish and looks for microsoft.com or whatever it was then.  Maybe you can find a old download. 

Also if you look at goodwill or salavation army, sometimes they have super old stuff there you can get a disk from.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users