Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How will I know if my motherboard can handle it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 whobdah

whobdah

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

My HDD is having trouble and it needs to go. Following advice I am thinking about an SDD and a HDD team of hard drives. One for OS and One for programs. I went looking on Newegg, but then I realized that my Dell Studio XPS is more than a few years old, can my motherboard handle it? If I upgrade the videocard and RAM, how will I know it's compatible. Since Dell built it....I don't even know what motherboard I have. Guidance is appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

What's the computer model?

#3 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

For example : 

dell studio xps 1640

dell studio xps 1645

dell studio xps 435t

#4 whobdah

whobdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Studio XPS 7100

#5 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Your motherboard can handle these HDD and SSD.

You have 4 slots for memory sticks (type = DDR3 PC3)

Maximum Memory = 16 GB

If you want to add a new video card, look at the power supply watts if you have enough power for the card.

#6 whobdah

whobdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for your help.  I ordered a new hdd because I found an article that said "No ssd" then I found an article that said yes to ssd.  You confirmed the yes.  I cancelled the order, luckily it cancelled in time.

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

As long as you have the appropriate connections on the motherboard such as sata, then you will be ok. I would highly recommend a ssd for the os as it will increase boot time tramendously. My boot time is <5 seconds with my ssd, which is a Samsung 840. Then have another HDD as a drive for all your other stuff. Most standard psus that come with oem machines can't handle video card upgrades as most video cards require a minimum of 400 watts and some are 500 watts. Just look at the sticker on your psu and see what its rated at for watts, and also look at the rail settings and see how they are set up.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#8 whobdah

whobdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Chrisd87 thanks for the advice. I am going for the ssd, but leave the old video card alone for now. I also bought some new ram, that is much faster than the old. The dell has worked well, but the hard drive is going bad. The motherboard has limited up grade potential, but it will suffice for now

#9 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Look at this : http://ocz.com/consumer/ssd-guide/ssd-vs-hdd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users