Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse double clicks on single left click, and other weird things

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Up until about a week and a half ago my wireless mouse worked just fine. All of a sudden, the mouse acted as though I had pressed the left button twice almost every time I pressed it. the biggest problem comes with MS Outlook 2003, one left click on an email tends to open it. One left click and drag the email to an inbox or an archive folder to move it, results in weird things, for instance, it may end up in the folder to which I intended to move it, or it may place it some other folder, or it may open a different folder. 
Some times it does more than one of these things at the same time. It is almost as though the left button is bouncing or the electronics in acting that way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

How old is the mouse?

Try these suggestions from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266738

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thank you for your response. The mouse is actually a wireless thumb ball, by logitech, and is probably about 6 to 8 years old. I did hook up an older wired thumb ball by logitech, and got the exact same results. I too suspected the thumb ball. I will try the MS support, which I usually do not find very helpful.

I can see that I will need to watch it for a couple of days. Right now it looks like it is mostly MS Office Outlook 2003, installed a recent update, and windows explorer that is causing the trouble.

It looks like the MS support may be helpful after all.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 02 May 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#4 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

What happens if you press the right click button, does it single click or double click?

Where it says download intellipoint you don't need to do that, as it's not a microsoft mouse.

Do you have Logitech SetPoint software on your computer?

Edited by Hawkers, 02 May 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#5 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Where as the left button either seemed to double click, or in MS Outlook using the left button to drag an email to another inbox or an archive folder, the email being moved was usually dropped off in another folder of the processes choosing, and another folder would open and I would find myself there. If I clicked on an email to select it to preview, often, but not always, the email would open. selecting a file or folder in windows explorer often opened it.

The right button seems to work just fine. I am using it to move and or copy folders or files or email from one directory or email folder to another. I have to click on "move" or "copy" when when I get to the folder I am choosing.

I am not finding Setpoint on my computer using search everything.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 02 May 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#6 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

So does the mouse double click instead of single click in every program and window you open or just Outlook?

#7 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Just tried safe boot, the mouse seemed to work correctly at least in the two known areas, Outlook and windows explorer. 

So far it seems to be working correctly in normal boot. being an intermittent problem I will need more time to verify it is working correctly.

Thanks. 

#8 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

I am needing to poke around at more solutions. The most bizarre motions, putting files in the wrong place or opening other folder while the cursor is traveling through them, both Outlook and windows explorer, seems to have disappeared. 

The opening the mail or folder or file with a single click still happens occasionally. 

#9 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Issue solved! I used the mouse control app and swapped the left and right click buttons and the problem went away. Bought a new trackball, swapped the buttons back to left being left and right being right. Problem gone. :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users