Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Internal Hard Drives Causing Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shemwhistler

shemwhistler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi,

I recently replaced 2 of my internal 1tb drives with 2tb drives, since then I've been noticing some strange behaviour.

The system randomly 'stutters' for less than a second at a time, it's most noticeable when video is playing as you hear it in the audio.  I've observed that during these stutters, if I go to My Computer the Free Space and Total Size values have disappeared, although the drive names remain, and the green progress/path bar is refreshing.  As per the below, although I've observed drives C, F and L all go blank at different times.

New%20Picture.jpg

This has been doing this for a few days whilst I've been trying to fault find and this evening when I tried to turn on the PC I got a MIssing Bootmgr error which I was able to resolve by restoring to a previous system restore point.

I've spent a couple of days googling this but haven't been able to find anybody that seems to have had the same issue, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shemwhistler

shemwhistler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

I have windows 7 and am trying to install NikonView NX2 software which will allow me to download pictrues taken with Nikon Coolpix L610 camera.  I follow all the instructions given by Nikon Customer Service, but when I agree to license, etc., and press "Install" or "Downoload" (64 bit) it asks, "Save this file?"  When I do that, it just quits altogether.  I have done this a dozen times, same result.

Do I need to disable Malwarebytes or AVG to accomplish "Install?"

Thank you very much for any help yoiu may be in this situation.  IKIE  Dwightmiguelw@gmail.com

Hi Ikie,

I don't think the issue you're having relates directly to mine, you might get better results by starting your own thread for your particular issue.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Hi

How did the system worked before the restore ?

I also noticed you didn't partitioned the drive and allocated all 2TB to a single partition. This is highly unrecommended and i don't wonder in your issue. A big partition will increase drive's effective access time and slow system responsiveness. You should partition the 2 TB in to a couple of partitions for efficiency.

There is also a large drawback in using a single partition. In case of a bad sector or file system corruption due to improper shutdown you may lose all you data due to NTFS corruption.

http://www.inteligentcomp.com/2012/07/hard.disk.partition.html

http://partition.radified.com/partitioning_2.htm

In your case the 2TB is almost full and more than likely  that will be the cause.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 May 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#4 shemwhistler

shemwhistler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi Anshad,

Firstly, thanks for your response.

Prior to the system restore I was getting the same behaviour as detailed in my OP.  It was only this most recent error, BOOTMGR is missing that required me to carry out the system restore.

I hadn't realised that having all 2TB in a large partition was going to be problematic, essentially what I have on one of the 2tb drives is my media, this consists of my iTunes library and photos primarily.

I then use the mirror the media drive to the other 2TB drive as an internal backup, I also copy across the user directory from the C drive to this backup drive.

Partioning wouldn't really work for me in this scenario as my iTunes library is nearing the 1TB mark.

You mention that the drive is full and this is likely causing the problem, but that's not the case, the least amount of free space is on the backup drive and that's around 880gb free.

Our IT guy at work thinks that it is a failing C Drive, do you think that this could be causing what I'm seeing?

Thanks

Matt

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Hi

Yes, a failing HDD can also cause delays. You can verify the health of HDD by testing it with manufacturer's testing tool. If you specify the brand (both HDD) i can post a download link and user guide for the respective testing tool.

Your 2TB drive is still more than 1 TB filled. It will definitely affect responsiveness of 'explorer' .

Please publish a snapshot of you PC using speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Just paste the web link provided by speccy in next reply.

You can temporary disconnect the 2TB slave drive to know if it is causing the delay issue.

#6 shemwhistler

shemwhistler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks again for your help, I'll work through your suggestions once I get home, assuming the machine boots up tonight :)

Thanks

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users