Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is particular RAM upgrade is acceptable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tony2011

Tony2011

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hello!

I have an old Packard Bell PC (I Connect M 3040 modell) with (OS) Windows XP HE, Celeron 2.0 GHz (CPU) and Packard Bell Columbia motherboard (it is modified Gigabyte GA-8SIML modell > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/columbia.htm) which - acc. to Packard Bell - supports up to 512 MB DDR RAM (2 x 256 MB, 2 slots).

I would like to ask for advice on whether it is acceptable and makes sense to upgrade RAM on the mentioned motherboard up to 1 GB (2x512 MB) or 2 GB (2x1GB), because if only because of the Internet Security Package requirements (eg, Bitdefender Internet Security 2013) 512 MB of RAM is not enough for good work of the computer.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

If the motherboard can handle it, then go for it. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

...it supports up to 2Gigs memory...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1335#sp

...scroll down to "memory"...

#4 Tony2011

Tony2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

The problem is that Gigabyte GA-8SIML motherboard supports up to 2 GB RAM, but particular makers (like e.g. Packard Bell) can change/limit this (such info. is given in GA-8SIML user's manual) when adapting the GA-8SIML mainboard to their needs. May be something is set in BIOS, I do not know.
That is why I wonder if it is acceptable to install 1 or 2 GB RAM on Columbia mainboard.

Edited by Tony2011, 01 May 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

See http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/columbia.htm for specs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users