Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Finding a Site Blocker

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 faye raye

faye raye

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi. There's a writing site I frequent that features stories with popular characters and some of them have content that certain people in the household probably shouldn't be seeing. They've heard of it in the past but were too young to be interested, now I fear they're old enough to want to go, so I want to find a filter/blocker/something that will take it off of search results so they'll think it closed down or something. We all use the same PC, same account, same everything, and I've never done this kind of thing before, so if I put some filter that tells them "this is blocked" I'm worried that'll make them even more interested in seeing what's there. I would like one that wouldn't make any obvious changes. What can I do or what can I use?

Edited by faye raye, 30 April 2013 - 12:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

You have several different approaches that you can use.

1. You can do this using software

2. You can do this using your router.

3. You can do this using dns servers that you can set up the way you like. IE *OpenDns*

4. You can use addons for your browser *Depends on the browser you use*

5. You can create another user account just for your kids, so that way you can streamline it for them, without affecting your browsing session.

Decide on the approach that will best fit your need, and let me know, and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Edited by chrisd87, 30 April 2013 - 01:25 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

I would like to use software.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Check out K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software

If all you want to do is block your browser from remembering sites visited then use Firefox Browser's 

Private Window. It will open a new window and will not record history or cookies for sites visited on the web.

Once Firefox is installed and opened, simply click on File and choose Private Window.

Or you could simply delete history from what ever browser you now use.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hm, this one sounds good, but is there a way to install it without paying for a license? If not, maybe an add-on would be better. I was thinking I wanted something that would block the site on search results or something when I'm not using the PC.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Second paragraph at that link:

K9 Web Protection is a free Internet filter and parental control software for your home Windows or Mac computer. K9 puts YOU in control of the Internet so you can protect your kids.

It does require you to get a license for each computer it is installed on:

Why we need your email address
We need your email address in order to send you your K9 license. You must have a valid email address because you won't be able to successfully install K9 without the K9 license number.

We also use your email to communicate with you regarding service issues and to send you a temporary password in case you forget yours. But we DON'T sell or share your email address with others and we don't spam you with excessive product promotional noise.

So please use a valid email address, and if you have anti-spam settings on your email account, please set it to receive emails from k9-noreply@bluecoat.com, and/or check your "junk email" folder for a message from k9-noreply@bluecoat.com. Do that right away so you can get your K9 Web Protection license on the very first try.

There is an add-on for Firefox for blocking specific websites in searches on Google and perhaps Bing. But there are other

search engines...

Hide Unwanted Results of Google Search :: Add-ons for Firefox

Edited by buddy215, 01 May 2013 - 12:04 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hm, that add-on would be perfect if it just didn't have that right-click on the search results option. Is there a way to disable it or a different one that operates only from the add-on/options Firefox menu?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Menu Editor is what you are looking for to add or remove items from right click menu. I have not used it

or the Hide Unwanted Results....

Menu Editor :: Add-ons for Firefox

#9 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hm, it's acting pretty finicky, sometimes it blocks sites, sometimes it doesn't.. I hate to pester, but is there any other, similar add-on?

#10 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Actually it seems to be that it won't work unless you make a donation?

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Here is one you can try.

https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/procon-latte/

#12 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Again I hate to pester, but is there any that hides/erases links from the search results and or blocks the site when you click without giving any kind of message?

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Your anti-virus may be able to help some in this area. For instance, Avast has site blocking abilities. But you would need to know the URL of the page/site you want to block. A daunting task, if there are many to block.

Have you actually installed and tried buddy215's suggestion of K9 Web Protection? Just because it requires a license/registration doesn't mean you have to pay anything. According to the K9 Web Site, it is free for home use. As buddy215 pointed out, first sentence second paragraph. It makes the same statement on the download page. And the download is set by default to the free home version.

#14 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yes I did, but I think I'll stick with ProCon Latte. Thank you all so much for your help.

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Anytime, let us know if we can be of any assistance in the upcoming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users