Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSODs - Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ND_Fan

ND_Fan

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Greetings Bleeping Computer:

Lately I've been experiencing frequent and consistent BSODs with the error message "Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error". 

They have occurred sporatically over the past 2 weeks when browsing using IE9.  I have not done any major installs/unistalls lately, so I'm not sure the root cause?  Perhaps I'm infected and/or my hard-drive is failing?  I'd appreciate your help through resolving this issue please.

Below are the specs of my machine:

Windows 7 - Home Premium
32-bit
Dell Inspiron 6000 (old machine)

Please advise on next steps.

Thanks,
ND_Fan

Mod Edit: Moved to Windows 7 to rule out hardware issues. ~bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 30 April 2013 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hi ND_Fan

Please post a link to the snapshot of your system using speccy. Read this guide - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't copy the output just copy the Web link provided by speccy.

Disable 'User Account Control' and restart your system. Now open "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder and look for any files which have a .dmp extension. These are the BSOD dumps and we need to analyze these to know what is wrong. Please copy theme all to a temporary folder and zip it. Upload the zip file to any free file hosting services of your choice (like mediafire -http://www.mediafire.com/) . Post the download link to it in next reply.

Please download and install Who Crashed --> http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

Run the program and click on Analyze. When program finishes analyzing, click on OK. Then right click --> Select All --> right click Copy

Copy the content here in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 May 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#3 ND_Fan

ND_Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hello, thanks for the reply.

speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RBnFQCp3SE16JZHdyqFt0JQ

I disabled 'User Account Control', restarted the system, but could not find a "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder.

I ran 'Who Crashed' and saw in the report that crash dumps were disabled on my machine. No valid crash dumps were found. I then followed the instructions to enable crash dumps going forward.

Below is the 'Who Crashed' report:

-----------------

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: -PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.70GHz Intel586, level: 6
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 1073156096 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1961619456

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are disabled for your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are not enabled on this computer. This is probably why there are no craswh dumps available. It is suggested you enable crash dumps on your computer. Use the System applet in Control Panel. Click the Advanced tab, then click the Startup and Recovery button. Select one of the options from the drop-down list in the Write Debugging Information box.
For more information refer to the following article: Enabling crash dumps on your computer.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

---------------

Please advise on next steps.

Thanks,

ND_Fan

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hi ND_Fan

Make sure to enable 'small memory dump' in the 'Startup and recovery' option. This will produce minidumps which can be easily send to us for further analysis. 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

Without analyzing minidumps it's hard to say the cause of the issue. As a preliminary step please follow the below instructions.

1 ) Uninstall Windows Update KB2823324

This update is canceled by Microsoft due to users experiencing various issues including BSOD. Uninstall it immediately. More info about this faulty update can be read  from below links.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

2 ) Kernel Data Inpage error  can be caused by a faulty HDD or it's interface driver. Please uninstall Intel chipset driver from "control panel--->Programs and features" and restart the system. Now install latest driver downloaded from Intel site.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&ProdId=816&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(32-bit)*&DownloadType=

3 ) Test the Health status of you HDD with Manufacturer's tool. 

Download "Western digital data life guard diagnostics" from WD site. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Run a full test with it and note if any error messages it displays

4) Make sure enough free space in C drive and also make sure "Page file" setting is configured to "System managed size" .

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clickingSystem. (Or right Click on "Computer" icon in Desktop and select "properties")

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5. Make sure to tick mark the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

If the BSOD still happens after performing all the above steps force the system to create more BSOD by entering in to sleep mode. This will create dump files in "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder. Once you got at least 2 BSOD copy all the dump files (with .dmp extension) inside the minidump folder and zip them. Upload the zip file to any free file hosing site (like 'mediafire') and post the link to it in next reply.

Also mention the  service tag of your system.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 May 2013 - 03:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users