Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled graphics driver, can not re-install.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pog12156

pog12156

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

I have an Asus x55c-hpd111f and the bluescreen of death appeared while trying to load a netflix video. The error was BAD_POOL_HEADER and through using a bluescreen viewer i located the source of the problem. I looked it up and found out that it had to do with an error in the display driver.

I downloaded the display driver from Asus's website, uninstalled the old driver, and shutdown the computer. After a few tries at rebooting it, nothing on the desktop would show up for some reason, I ran the setup file in the new driver's folder and it simply said that it could not be installed. I tried to do it manually through the device manager and received the error message "the system cannot find the file specified". Some people online have said that it's an issue with the registry so i tried running ccleaners's and advanced system care's registry cleaners but it didn't help. 

Also i'm not sure if its related but if i attempt to open regedit.exe i get the error message that ulib.dll is missing.

I'm really at a loss of what to do here, any help at all would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi

Which is the video driver in your Laptop ? . (Intel , Nvidia or ATI and the correct model number of the VGA Chip)

You can use system restore to revert the system to the state before you uninstalled VGA driver. Refer this guide to do that -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-system-restore-guide/

If that didn't help please publish a snapshot of your system using speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 April 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#3 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CjVgtYcfiQEntFptYT8kLtB (before attempting system restore)

Its an intel gma pci\ven_8086&dev_0106&subsys_14c71043&rev_09

I've attempted to use system restore but it gave me the the error message saying that C: is corrupted and it needs to be checked for errors. Attempting to run CHKDSK i get the same error message that regedit.exe gave me. Ulib.dll is missing

Edited by pog12156, 30 April 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi

Here is the download link for Intel HD graphics new version - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22627&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

If it didn't resolved your issue, please perform a system restore.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hi

Here is the download link for Intel HD graphics new version - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22627&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows 8%2C 64-bit*&DownloadType=
Drivers

If it didn't resolved your issue, please perform a system restore. According to Speccy log you have installed Intel graphics driver through Microsoft update on 4-30-2013 and i think that caused the issue. Updating drivers through Microsoft update is not recommended. Restoring to a date prior to that update (ie 4-28-2013) might possibly solve your issue.  

#6 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I tried system restore but it said that there were errors on my C: drive and that I would have to check the disk. I tried to run chkdsk but i got the same error message as regedit.exe , "ulib.dll is missing"

I tried installing the intel drivers from asus but it gave me an error just saying that it could not be installed, when i tried it manually it said "system cant find the path specified. Ill give the one you suggested a try when I get home in about 4 hours

#7 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

On the 30th there was no driver installed, the device manager shows no drivers installed ever since i uninstalled them on the 29th. 

I tried to run the drivers you linked and it didn't work, tried it manually and i got a new error message. "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi

Since the system is reporting missing dll please run a "System File Check" using SFC. Open a command prompt as administrator and enter "SFC /SCANNOW" in it. Let it run and report what output message it says.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/475320/sfc-scannow-in-windows-8/

Do you have a Windows 8 setup DVD in hand ?. A system repair disc may also come in handy.

#9 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I heard about running that scan so i did but it stopped at 80% saying it could not be completed. i tried to run it again but i got bsod twice caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe. first time it said KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR second time it said CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I copied the missing .dll files from another computer instead and tried to run chkdsk but it gave me a new error saying 

The procedure entry point ?sqmexportonerror@sqmexport@@saxkkee_ku_guid@@@z cannot be found in dynamic link library

At this point im willing to just reset windows 8.

I'm not certain about those discs as this is my friend's laptop, i have to see if she has them. Is there a way for me to get my hands on a windows 8 dvd? i understand that what you're really paying for is the activation code which i have for this laptop but i have no idea how to get just the dvd.

Edited by pog12156, 01 May 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi

Since this is an OEM Laptop, you should use manufacturer's recovery options. You can also try either 'Refresh' or 'Reset'. Both can be performed without an installation CD. Watch the Video Tut below.

#11 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thank you for your help. i have reset this laptop and its working fine now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users