Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pls help to get DVD Drive to work in AHCI mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hi. I have a PC with an Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard. The board has 5 SATA connections but I think ports 4&5 share a double connector. Originally I had this machine set up with a pair of 150GB drives in Raid 1 for the OS (ports 1&2), a pair of 500GB drives in Raid 1 for Data (ports 3&4) and then the DVD drive on port 5.

Recently I decided that Raid 1 was not the best solution for me as there are other good ways to backup data. I bought an SSD with the idea that I would use this for my OS and separate out my 500GB drives to double my data storage space. I connected the SSD to SATA port 1 and installed Windows 7 on it. I can now boot to this drive or my old drive on port 2. But the BIOS is still set up for RAID so at boot up it is reporting that the array with 1 disk removed is critical. I would like to get rid of this and also split the data disks so they are no longer in RAID.

Having done a little research I believe that I need to change the BIOS to AHCI mode instead of RAID. However, when I do this the machine detects the 4 hard disks that are connected on ports 1-4 but does not see the DVD drive on Port 5. The machine also fails to boot. I think I may be able to get it to boot in AHCI mode if I could run Startup Repair. But I cannot try this without the DVD Drive working. I would really appreciate if somebody could help me sort out this configuration so that I can remove RAID and get all my drives working.

Thanks

Edit: I found a page in the manual that says I need to install an AHCI driver for all 5 ports to work in this mode. I've uploaded this page here: http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1367311628

I'm still quite unsure what to do about this though as surely installing a driver in windows will not allow the PC to see port 5 at boot up? And I do not know where to get the correct driver.

I also found this on the Asus website:

FAQ: I have just built myself a new PC. I found that BIOS and POST do not report SATA HDDs on port 5 and 6 under AHCI mode.
Is this normal?

Solution: Don't worry. This is expected behavior of AMD SB700 and SB750 chipset. SATA HDDs on SATA port 5 and 6 will be detected under Windows OS after the installation of AHCI driver.

Does this mean there is no way to detect port 5 at post and that I therefore need to connect my DVD drive to an alternative SATA port?

Edited by Stephen W, 30 April 2013 - 04:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

I had a bit of a break through with this. I was able to get the system to boot in AHCI mode by changing the value as describe here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-64-bit-does-not-boot-with-ahci-enabled/1ed33ae9-b2ff-4d1f-b28c-406153e04faa

The AHCI drivers were then automatically installed to each drive.

The only problem now I believe is that I think the DVD drive is still not seen at boot but it is seen within windows. This just means that I cannot boot from the optical drive which should not be a problem most of the time. I think I can remedy this by plugging the DVD Drive into a different SATA port. But any feedback would still be appreciated.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi

Glad to hear that you solved the boot issue by editing registry. For the DVD you should connect it to another port. We can't do anything to show SATA port 5 connected device to appear in POST when AHCI mode is used. It is by design and that is what Asus documentation says.

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

OK. As I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users