Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sumiq8

sumiq8

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hello

First off I am as PC challenged as they come..so please excuse my ignorance.

My CPU is almost 12 years old. I finally broke down and bought an HP Envy. I wanted to transfer the important files from my old PC to the new one.

Long story short, my son convinced me he could do it. My tech guy is currently out of town...ugh.

So my son opened up my CPU and removed the hard drive. And he could not get the memory from it...he is 17 years old...so I just think he did not know what to do.

So I told him to just put it back in the CPU and I will try to find someone else to do it.

He put it back in and turned it on and now it is saying that the hard disk (or is it drive) was not found.  So what happened??

Did he just put it in wrong? And is my memory safe? I was up alll night worrying about it.

I found a tech who is going to come today...plz advise.....xoxo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

That's pretty hard to answer - probably best to just see what the tech finds when he comes.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hello

Im so worried! But shouldn't the memory be ok? He just unplugged it and I think put it in wrong??

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

There's hope, he may just have been connecting it up wrong - but there's also some chance damage has been done. We can only guess at this point without following diagnostic procedures.

#5 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Do you know of a tutorial where it shows how to reconnect it??  I have no guarantee that the new tech will even come today...really need to access my old CPU...xox

Also, when he tried to access it from his laptop he cannot read it but it shows how much memory is used/left...so he says if there was something wrong with it ..it would not show that info.. xoxo

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

It depends on what drive it is - how did he try to connect it to his laptop?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

At that age it would probably be an IDE drive, which needs the two connectors plugged in:

everythingideharddisk-post-3.jpg

The Master/Slave jumper between the connectors should remain unmoved - sometimes there is no jumper for the common Master setting.

If these connections are correct, then it might be necessary to set the boot device order in the BIOS setup, for which we'd need to know what the computer is (brand, model), or if a prompt appears on the screen to press a function key to choose boot order.

Edited by Platypus, 30 April 2013 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users