Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beep error code, hard disk not booting to OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bcmac401

bcmac401

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Tech specs to start:

Board - ABIT AL8 with Award BIOS

CPU - Pentium D 945

Memory - 2x1GB DDR2-533, 2x1GB DDR2-800 (running at 533)

Drives - WD Caviar 40GB and 500GB (SATA), CD-RW/DVD (IDE)

PSU - Corsair CX430

OS - WinXP 32-bit, latest service pack & updates applied

Just started having this problem a few moments ago.  Our network drives hung and the file server started this recurring beep error (a short low-tone beep, short pause, then two more similar beeps, then a long pause, then it repeats).  I checked the motherboard's manual and a few sites that list the beep errors & meanings but couldn't find any that matched this pattern.

I rebooted, and it took ~3 min longer than normal as it scanned the drives.  I went into BIOS and the beeping STOPPED.  All the drives displayed in BIOS and I was able to see their settings without a problem.  I exited BIOS & rebooted, and the beeps started again.

I then tried to get into XP safe mode but I got the error "HARD DISK FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".  I popped in a CD and the setup program loaded, beeping the same pattern at times and stopping when the hard disks weren't being accessed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi

Can you tell if the beeping is coming from the speaker on the motherboard or is it coming from one of the hard drives?

If it is from a hard drive, disconnect it. That is physical grinding making that noise (it sounds like a beep though) and you can make it worse by continuing to try to access it.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users