Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having issues setting up FTP Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nathanstotts

nathanstotts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

So, I'm setting up a Home FTP Server. I have the server built and it works perfectly over the internal network with a 192.168 IP address. Now that I know it works and the software I have I acutally like, I need to get it accessible over the world wide web.

And of course, I just need to know what I need to do that. I assume I need a Static IP address, and I know I need something with a DNS, for better use instead of typing the IP everytime.

The system I am using is a Windows 7 PC, with 4GB of RAM a AMD Processor...equivelant of a 2nd gen i5, 400GB drive. I am using Xlightftp as my software for now. I also have a number of websites hosted through fatcow, so I have access to that as well.

What are my next steps?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

You'll need to setup a dynamic dns service account. I use http://www.noip.com for this for my personal use and it works awesome. Then you can open a web browser and type this: ftp://MYDOMAINNAME.no-ip.com and it'll point to the ftp server.

*NOTE, the MYDOMAINNAME is what you will create when you setup the account and start entering your hosts.*

*NOTE, the .no-ip.com is a selection that you can choose from out of a list that is available for use.*

You don't have to use ddns, you can simply type your external ip address in and as long as everything is setup internally, it'll prompt you for the credentials. Having a ddns account and using it instead will save you any headache if your ip ever changes.

Edited by chrisd87, 29 April 2013 - 01:30 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 nathanstotts

nathanstotts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Okay, so, let's say theoretically, I wanted to set up an FTP server for a business, for a new service. And I instead of paying monthly for a Dynamic DNS, I were to use a DNS through my web host. What would be my next steps?

Essentially what's going on is this: Instead of having my IT guy do this, I'm wanting to expand my knowledge on setting up more intricate networks and setting up devices on these networks. And we have devised this service as a way to help our local community out, and to add to our IT Services. I have plenty of Domains and even have been provided a few DNS's to use. Fatcow also allows all sorts of tools to add/change subdomains, and change settings for all that fun stuff. So I guess what I want to do is this:

I want to have a URL that points to a subdomain/IP address that is the FTP Server. Is this possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users