Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop As Second Monitor, Can It Be Done ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 esdog

esdog

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:29 AM

Hi, I would like to have a second monitor and was wondering if i could utilize my laptop's screen rather than purchasing a new monitor. Is there a way to do this and still be able to use the laptop as a separate system when required ?
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, on others I let her sleep in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

Hi esdog.
There is no way I know of to use your laptop's lcd as a secondary monitor without the use of third party software like Maxivista, which in itself requires the systems be on a network.
You can do it the other way around if your laptop supports dual displays but the laptop screen has to be the primary and the crt the secondary.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

There is software that you can download for free that let's you use other computers on a network as second monitors...

It also let's you support more then two monitors. I had 3 last time I tried (2 hooked directly to my computer and a 3rd one on a second computer).

BTW The second computer doesn't have to be very powerfull.

And all you have to do to get back to your laptop is disable the second monitor on the main computer (right click desktop>proprities then go to settings and uncheck extend my desktop to this screen). All this is is a program installed to the laptop that sits in the system tray. So if the desktop isn't extended you get the laptops desktop.

BTW The software I found also let you control the second computer from the main. You would have two seperate desktops but when you slid the mouse to the edge you jumped in to the other computer and you could control it using the same mouse and keyboard.

This is a page from microsoft but if you scroll down a little it shows how to use a laptop.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...p_multimon.mspx

BTW The program I was talking about is maxivista. You can download a free demo but you can also buy it for 20$.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 09 April 2006 - 11:50 AM.

#4 esdog

esdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for the help i will check it out
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, on others I let her sleep in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users