Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you run multiple OS' on a mac computer off a external HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 angas5

angas5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hi guys,

My question is as above. i want to run linux off of an external hard drive.

the computer and operating system im running at the moment is a Mac OS X Version 10.6.3 and its a Mac book pro

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I don't own a mac, so my comment is purely based off what I've read online.

Yes you can install linux onto an external drive, depending what distribution you choose they may have a seperate iso file released for mac systems (as is the case for Ubuntu for example), and you will probably want to store the bootloader on your external drive to avoid issues (so don't use the default installation options). I wish I could provide you with a more detailed guide, but as I mentioned I'm not very mac familiar, as I own a pc. I mostly wanted to respond to this to help get the ball rolling since your post is nearly 1 month old and has no responses thus far. Do you have a particular linux distro in mind?

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users