Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time for some major cleaning.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whobdah

whobdah

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

I have this seagate 1T back up HDD. It is full I stuff I don't need. I really just want to save the pictures, documents, movies. What is a good way of going through all that. How will I know I'm not supposed to delete something that pertains to the Seagate programing. I have an internal hard drive that needs replaced. I was going to send all the important stuff over to the External hard drive, but I have to clean it up. It is almost full...which seems impossible. I must backing up the wrong stuff with my "back up programs". I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. First things first. Keep the stuff I want, get rid of the stuff I don't and don't delete something I shouldn't have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

There are many free programs that will search common file extensions based on a selected file type, like you select "pictures" the program will search for *.jpg,*.jpeg,*.gif,*.png,*.raw, etc.

it doesnt catch all of them but this will narrow the results a lot, move everything to one folder (mark it "save" or something) then quickly look through remaining folders for anything left the programs missed and then delete (they also make programs that will delete empty folders so that may help too)

as far as "seagate programming" goes you don't really need anything on the external drive, whenever I get a new external or flash drive, first thing I do is format before any programs can run, they are mostly useless, anything that you find you want again you can download from the site.

as far as back up programs go, are you sure youre deleting the old backups as it backs up again?

I know some programs dont automatically and this fills space REALLY fast

#3 whobdah

whobdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I think I have it set on delete back up, but I don't think I really set it the right way. I need to start looking for those free programs.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Rather than worrying about the current backup...why not just do a new backup of the system, after you have removed unwanted fluff from it?

Louis

#5 whobdah

whobdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

I'm going to have to start from scratch now.  I am going to need a new hard drive.  Once I do that I will save any pictures, documents, things I want on a USB flash, then delete everything and do a new backup.  At least that's what I think I'm going to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users