Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After figuring out the HDD is broken....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whobdah

whobdah

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

I've spent 4 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer. I finally figured out that I probably should get a new hard drive. I've run test after test. Hours of waiting. Sometimes it passes, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it sounds like it running all day. Sometimes it's quiet all day. I think I just need a new one before this one quits. I have a dell Studio xps. I haven't been looking lately, but I saw in PC Gamer that they combined a SDD and HDD together. I'm not sure I want to go that far. I just want a quality Hard drive, good amount of storage, good price and speed. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonstonx64

jonstonx64

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

I would look for a SATA III hard drive with 7,200 RPM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770 - This is $60 with 320 GB and 16 MB Cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339 -  This is $75 with 1 TB and 64 MB Cache.

The second one is a little better because it has more room and a little more cache memory, but first is good for a light user.

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Just a word of warning (I have experienced this) having one large hard drive is not always the best option, having one large hard drive that runs the OS, programs, and data puts a lot of strain on it, and having everything on one (think all your eggs in one basket) means that if it fails, you lose EVERYTHING, thats partly why people will have a few hard drives. I have a 128Gb SSD as my OS drive, along with a few system programs (java, flash, etc) then a 500 Gig hard drive with all my programs/games and some documents on it, then a 750 Gb hard drive with all my videos, and photos on it (these are also backed up on an external drive).

The SSD and the 500G are both Sata III, the 750 is Sata II, with SSD's you dont want to run large programs especially programs that read/write a lot to the hard drive, hence the 500G.

It may cost a little bit more up front but you may be better off with 2 drives, a small for OS, and another for games/programs.

Not difficult to do, once the OS is installed all you have to do is plug in the second drive, format it, and you're done with installation, then just change some default file pathways, set up some folders and you're good to go. A little more time up front, but there are plenty of tutorials on how to do all of that, and I feel its well worth it. Would you rather reinstall every little program youve found over the years AND the OS if/when the drive fails or would you rather just install the programs OR the OS when one fails? (plus its easy enough to keep a list on both drives of what the other has on it for easy recovery)

Just my 2 cents based on losing EVERYTHING too many times in the past.

#4 whobdah

whobdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

So Green giant....I have the one and it works.....for now. You're saying buy two. Just like the pc gamer rig. My os on one, then download all the other stuff on the bigger drive. What about things like the internet, word, excel things like that? Wouldn't be better to have internet on the fast one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users