Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ivynita

Ivynita

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hello,

Hi,

My laptop freezes after booting whenever I attempt to load any application, click on the 'Start' button or even try to open the Task Manager. It is completely unresponsive and will not 'unfreeze' - leading me to turn off by hitting the power button.  As far as I know, I have not installed anything or changed settings for this to happen. I have what I have been told is "Top of the Line" virus protection, I shouldn't be that.

I took the computer back to Micro Center where I purchased it, and they told me that something was running in the background, but they could not identify what it was.....

Please Help! This is very frustrating

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2013 - 09:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jacksons84

jacksons84

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

Click on the Start and  open the Run Tab and type msconfig after type these command you see new window open in the new window then you click start up you see all box checked then you under stand when you on the computer all types application runing on window logo but i recommed to you disable all check the status of your computer...

#3 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hello,

Hi,

My laptop freezes after booting whenever I attempt to load any application, click on the 'Start' button or even try to open the Task Manager. It is completely unresponsive and will not 'unfreeze' - leading me to turn off by hitting the power button.  As far as I know, I have not installed anything or changed settings for this to happen. I have what I have been told is "Top of the Line" virus protection, I shouldn't be that.

I took the computer back to Micro Center where I purchased it, and they told me that something was running in the background, but they could not identify what it was.....

Please Help! This is very frustrating

Hi and welcome

i would perform a Clean Boot first by following instructions here     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You don't mention if you have the same problem in Safe Mode,if you haven't checked please do so and let us know.

There may be malware on your system so for a quick check please go to    http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

make sure to check ALL appropriate checkmarks and disable your antivirus just before you start the scan (reenable afterwards.)

Let us know the results.

P.S  Top of the line antivirus protection' doesn't really mean anything,infections can and do happen to anyone,no matter what protection you use.and please state all the security programs installed,it may simply be a matter of conficts between programs.

Edited by Julia G, 29 April 2013 - 04:00 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Let's gather some data...before jumping to conclusions, please :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.  Do not copy/paste data from the report.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users