Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop will not start up correctly after update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shnamyq

shnamyq

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi. I hope someone can help. My laptop auto installed the Windows update a few days ago. After that, I cannot get my laptop to start up correctly. If I turn it on and log in, it crashes after a minute or so if it even gets that far. Sometimes before it even gets to the log in screen it freezes. It shows me a screen that has fuzzy lines all over.

I booted in safe mode and was finally able to run system restore back to the point of the update. I don't know if the system restore ran all the way but it restarted and I was able to log in, then it gave me this error: Windows must now restart because the DCOM server process launcher service terminated unexpectedly. I then had to shut it down.

I have an HP Pavilion dv5. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I have a picture of the fuzzy screen it shows me but it is too big to upload from my phone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Try doing a System Restore to an earlier date, If this doesn't work try an earlier date.

Do you have the Vista installation disc?

Some thing else you can try is to run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, the type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shnamyq

shnamyq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, Dan. I tried to run system restore to an earlier date than the last Windows update but it is still having the same problems.

I ran the sfc/scannow as you suggested. It completed but it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." I then restarted and had the same screen freeze issue.

I do not have the Vista install CD. Any other suggestions?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Unfortunately you would need the installation disk to repair or replace those files. 

Do you have access to a retail copy of Vista Home Premium 64-bit?

Another option would be to use use the recovery partition to restore the operating system to the state it came out of the box.  The down side of this is that you will lose everything other than the operating system and drivers.  So if you want to go this route you will want to backup the data which you wish to keep to a removable media, like DVDs, flash drives, external hdd, etc.  You can use a operating system like Ubuntu to access your hdd and move the files to the media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hello Shnamyq i readed ur issue and u need to set ur system restore off on this pc because can hide a virus so if you restore the system u restore also the virus infection , my advice is to use a flash drive with Combofix on it and run it in Safe Mode .... if you can run it correctly and clean infection use another  tool to be sure you don't have any left overs or hidden rootkits , run a full scan with DR WEB tool , if you are still suspicious use Kaspersky Removal tool .... good luck , u can change ur Os... Vista has major lacks and bugs.... is a bad OS in general ...... use Windows 7 or 8 if ur pc is compatible :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users