Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth purchasing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO or free version ok?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Farrah2

Farrah2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hi

At the moment, I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free version, SUPERAntiSpyware (also free) and I run virus scans using Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm concerned that none of the above seem to provide real-time protection.

I'm thinking of buying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO version for real time protection. My question is - is it worth it/much better than the free version, and if so, does it negate the need to have an anti Spyware program such as SUPERAntiSpyware? I want a good all round product as opposed to having to buy a bunch of different programs.

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Farrah2, on 29 Apr 2013 - 1:26 PM, said:
I'm concerned that none of the above seem to provide real-time protection.

Hi -
Your Free Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus should be set as Real-Time protection under the Settings tab -
Click on the program, open it and open Settings. Item 3 is Real-time Protection. Please tick this -

Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) program is well worth the cheap "Lifetime" license price, and adds great protection for you.
The Free version has no active protection, and is only a clean up tool (like SAS Free)
SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS) is a yearly fee, while MBAM is a once only lifetime cost, and provides full Online backup for you -

I run MBAM Pro on one computer and the Free version on the other. SAS Free is installed on both computers.

Visit the Forums of each program and you can see the support provided for each program -
MBAM Forum and SAS Forum

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I too recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. More information about IP Protection can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware IP Protection FAQs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mrodent

mrodent

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

Wooo!  Things have changed (it appears) since 2013.

It is now £20 ($30+) to buy one year's sub!

Obviously a sign of success... but too much for me, given the likely marginal difference it will make.  There are many tools out there, but the general approach of "safe browsing" is probably the most important thing you can do.  Firefox users might want to try (among many other tools) the WOT (Web of Trust) add-on.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

Another good alternative is Emsisoft Anti-Malware, the pay-for version -- the real time protection shields are just as good as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware real time protection shields.  I think both provide multi-PC/Multi-YEAR license packages.  SUPERAntiSpyware pay-for version also has good reviews.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Not really. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is actually an anti virus, in the past it could be ran alongside other anti-virus solutions at the same time, however, now the guys at Emsisoft are recommending not to run alongside another anti-virus programs and to run it as a standalone anti virus. So if the OP decides to purchase EAM he should not run it with MSE. I run EAM and MBAM, they are designed to detect different types of malware.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

The only thing that has changed since then is the newer version of Malwarebytes Premium is better than ever.

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:26 AM

The only thing that has changed since then is the newer version of Malwarebytes Premium is better than ever.

Well, it is true that the licensing model for MBAM Consumer has changed since 2013.

The lifetime license model was not sustainable (existing valid lifetime licenses are still honored, but legitimate new ones are no longer available).

A subscription model for "up to 3" systems was introduced in March 2014.

That was superseded by the current 1-PC subscription model in September 2015 (there is a 2-year subscription option and there is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction).

Any of these works out to pennies per day per computer (or less).

That cost is much cheaper than the time, effort and money that can be expended trying to recover from a major malware mishap.

MBAM Free can only detect and remove malware that has already made it past your AV onto the system.

MBAM Premium helps to prevent the infection by certain types of non-viral, zero-hour and zero-day malware, with real-time protection alongside the AV.

Cheers,

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

...Emsisoft Anti-Malware is actually an anti virus,..

Are we sure EAM is only anti-virus?  I thought we read EAM, or better yet, EIS suite, is adding anti-virus?

Edited by RolandJS, 13 March 2016 - 08:40 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

I thought we read EAM, or better yet, EIS suite, is adding anti-virus?

EAM is both an anti-malware and anti-virus.  EIS adds a firewall using the core of the former Online Armor Firewall.

#11 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19729-should-i-use-emsisoft-anti-malware-as-antivirus-program-also/

Reply in here from one of Emsisoft's employees.

Also please note that MBAM is not compatible with EIS because of a WFP driver incompatibility, however MBAM can be used with EAM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:37 PM

Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products? (04 November 2014)

Yes and No

Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software.

As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution and offers solid protection. Emsisoft Internet Security also includes these features, but with the addition of a firewall for comprehensive protection of your computer.

Statement from Fabian Wosar, Authorized Emsisoft Representative (Security Developer)...

Could EAM still be used as a companion antivirus?

The thing with compatibility is that it outright blocks a whole bunch of features we would like to add. That is why we no longer recommend using EAM alongside any other AV software. At the moment we are still compatible with pretty much all of them and if we can easily work around a conflict we will still do so. However, we no longer consider a degradation of compatibility a blocker for new features.

#13 Amanha

Amanha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Only a year passed after being reported to cost $30 and now MBAM costs €39,99 which is about $50 US. Interesting. Do you think Norton would be better?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

A lot has changed since this topic was started in April 2013.

For example, older versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware were designed to be compatible with almost all anti-virus programs. Newer EAM versions are not always fully compatible anymore because of changes in technology and efforts to employ exploit mitigation. That's why Emsisoft updated their Knowledgebase articles some time ago...Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products? (17 February 2016)

No
Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software. As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution...We now strongly discourage users from running two or more full antivirus products at the same time, as doing so will unnecessarily slow down the computer. The modules of multiple antivirus programs can also conflict with each other, potentially missing detections and ultimately resulting in a failure to protect the computer at all. Emsisoft provides no warranty that the software will work in combination with other security products that incorporate a complete antivirus module. The use of two or more antivirus programs is at your own risk.

Are Emsisoft products a replacement for other security products? (05 July 2016)

Emsisoft products demonstrate top performance and maximum security when used as standalone programs within in their category. We now strongly discourage users from running two or more full antivirus products at the same time.

Malwarebytes 3.x is not an anti-virus like Norton...see here. This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst.

Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution. You may want to read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers and resource heavy processes that load at boot-up. Installation also results in the creation of numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for an alternative anti-virus. IMO, Norton (Symantec) is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

#15 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

MSE should be providing you RTP.

Many people use MBAM to fight against malware using the free version as an independent, on-demand scanner. Though MSE is rather poor in terms of security and prevention of intruding malware, so you may want to reconsider, and buy MBAM or look into another free anti-malware system, though I've generally had pretty bad experiences with AV.

And remember, the best AV is your brain, surf wisely. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users