Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need new laptop for word processing, home use, etc.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sumguy#1

sumguy#1

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Using PURCHASE TEMPLATE:

My budget for the new computer is:

Answer: Approximately $600

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

Answer: IE, browsing, word processor, don't do games.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Answer: Just what comes with computer.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Answer: I play games trying to fix my piece O sheeet current computer!

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Answer: Sometimes I leave up to 10 programs open for quick reference.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Answer: I store some pics, not a lot. Don't store music, I listen to iTunes once in awhile. But download lots of online papers.

Currently using Windows Vista 32 bit OS, laptop, when it decides it wants to let me use it.  :thumbdown:  Started acting up, getting blue screen/chkdsk scans/freeze-ups, etc. I wanted to upgrade, but apparently have disk issues preventing that.

I presume most current laptops come with 64 bit OS. I haven't done much research, as I have been bogged down trying to fix current :killcomp:  [use own adjective here]  :smash:  laptop. But sounds like a Solid State Drive OE is a better than a spinning HD disk. Apparently quicker start ups and longer life expectancy, so they say.

If I could find a laptop with MS Word already installed that doesn't require a additional purchase when the trial runs out, would be a plus. But not sure if that option is available? Anyone have opinions/reviews using any of the free word processors programs available? I have that option also.

I read some people don't like Windows 8, and prefer Windows 7. Any opinions/suggestions here?

Pretty much looking for a basic and reliable laptop with a decent word processor. Amazon...?

Thanks, sumguy#1

Edited by sumguy#1, 28 April 2013 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hi, the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E535 3260EFU would be perfect for your needs and the ThinkPad's a widely known for being well built. Windows 8 is a fine OS, some people are just lazy to learn how to use it hence saying it's crap. You don't have to use Microsoft Office, there are other great alternatives like OpenOffice.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hey thanks for reply.

There are options with free office type processor suites. Just don't know which one is the better one, if I need one of them? They all look more or less similar in appearance, have used OpenOffice in the past, but been using MS Works for now, fairly simple and basic program.

I was looking at the MS Surface RT, which has good reviews on Amazon. Cost $500, has the MS Office Home/Student version, not sure if any difference, than the regular version of MS Office? Also comes with Excel, Power Point, and One Note [not familiar with this]. But sounds like a good deal.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks, sumguy#1

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

I actually have the Surface RT,the MS Office is essentially the regular version.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

So how do you like it?

Does that come with a keypad or do you have to purchase separate, if so, how much?

Did you purchase a key pad cover?

Did you purchase a 2 yr. warranty, is it worth it?

Thanks, sumguy.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

I use it for school and i like the fact that having Office and a USB port is really useful for school use. It is well built and having Windows 8 on it, enables me to do things like i would do on the desktop with the exception of not being able to install programs. I bought the TouchCover which was bundled with the tablet and no i didn't purchase the extra warranty. In Australia, it costed $679 with TouchCover or $559 for just the tablet itself although you could simply plug in your favorite keyboard without having to buy the separate keyboard. 

>Michael 

#7 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sounds good with the exception of not being able to install programs?

So would you recommend this item over the one in your 1st post?

Thanks again, sumguy.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

The Pro model is able to install programs but it is double the price. I would suggest getting the 1st item because the surface isn't really suitable for your needs.

>Michael 

#9 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks again, for your replies.

Q. If you don't mind me asking why you recommend the 1st item over the Surface RT, or why the RT isn't suitable for my needs?, would be helpful.

The RT has the MS Word programs I was looking for, whereas, the ThinkPad doesn't. The RT is a tablet, but appears to be similar to or has the ability to set up like and similar to a laptop or has desktop capabilities, or a combination of both. The RT appears to be a decent Tablet?, but not being able to download programs doesn't sound good.

Q. The ThinkPad has Win 7, whereas the RT has Win 8. So was wondering why you recommend the ThinkPad Win 7 over the RT Win 8?

I spend a lot of time on a word processor, if that makes any difference in choosing a computer? But as you said you can always download Open Office or similar programs. So that probably won't effect choosing a computer. But when you want to download docs online, you need Word.

While checking the ThinkPad specs. online, I looked at a few other similar laptops:

A. Lenovo Z580 Notebook PC, Intel Core i7-3520M 2.9GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 8 64-bit. $679.

Pros: Intel Core i7, 2.9GHz

B. Toshiba Satellite L855-S5383 Notebook PC-8GB, Intel Core i7-3630 QM 2.4GHz, 8GB DDr3, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 8 64-bit. $650.00

Pros: 8GB, Intel Core i7, 8Gb, 640GB HDD.

C. HP Probook 4540s Notebook PC-3rd generation Intel Core i3-3110M 2,4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" display, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit/ Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. $500.00

Pros: Has Win 7 Professional 64 bit installed, comes with full version disc of Win 8 Professional. Like this feature as it gives two options. Has the Intel Core i3 as compared to the i7 in other two laptops. But price looks good.

D. HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC-3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed/Win 8 Pro 64-bit full OS disc comes with it. $600.00

Pros: Has Win7/8 OS options. Has i5, good reviews, as well as the others do, within my price range.

All the above are within my price range and they all look good. Any new computer would be a plus for me because of a faulting hard drive needing replacement. Have any opinions on these models? Any input is greatly appreciated.

If others have one of these machines and want to chime in, be my guest.

Thanks sumguy#1

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

The Surface's screen size is smaller then the Thinkpad and sometimes using a large screen for Word can be easier to work with. Only apps can be installed from the Windows Store, so simply no ".exe" installation will work. Same answer for question 2. If you download documents online, the file type would be either ".doc" or ".docx" which openoffice can open. The reason why i chose the ThinkPad over the other laptops is because of reliability.  

Edited by killerx525, 03 May 2013 - 12:58 AM.

>Michael 

#11 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Okay appreciate your input. Thank you, sumguy.

#12 alexbownsb

alexbownsb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

hi...

MS office> Word is a great software that i would recommend to use. I had used it for some time and was a great time to experience it. It might become a little pricey for some students and other individuals.

Now personally, i am using Abiword which was suggested in a blog post that was MS word alternatives as i was looking for a free word processor program that could replace MS word software for me, searching google, i found many blogs with many softwares of such kind reviewed but after reading all of those, i just chosen.

Abiword, which may be very simple for you but believe me that i had picked this one because of its simplicity, you know as a student i need it only for basic writing processing and it is too good in it.

Keeping this aside, I have few other suggestions such as BEAN, Neoffice and openoffice which are also great word processing programs with rich features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users