Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed to Start, System Repair Can't Discover Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rapsfan08

rapsfan08

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi, I opened my computer yesterday and logged in as usual.  My desktop was showing fine and then all of a sudden the screen went black, but the computer was still on.  I held down the power button to reboot and since then I have been unable to get to the login screen.  My computer gets to the start repair screen and cannot find anything to repair.  Oddly, it cannot find any system restore points.  This is what the startup repair details as the problem:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: -1

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: NoOsInstalled

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I do not understand why it is saying No Operating System Installed.  

What I Have Tried So Far

• Boot in safe mode
  • Run chkdsk (no problems found)

All of the above failed to solve the problem.

From the command prompt, I have attempted...

• Bootrec.exe repair MBR, Boot Sector, BCD
  • Bootrec.exe BCD rebuild
  • chkdsk
  • sfc/scannow

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hi rapsfan08 and :welcome: to BC.

Please post the computer brand and model next time. If your desktop is using a dedicated card and has onboard video, please remove/disable the card and use the onboard and check the difference.

Tekken

#3 rapsfan08

rapsfan08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi jhayz, It is a Dell Laptop computer.  Specifically,

- dell studio xps 1640

- intel core 2 duo T9550 (2.66 GHz/1066Mhz)

- 500GB 7200 RPM Free Fall SensorSeagate Harddrive

- windows 7 ultimate 64-bit english

Thanks!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Please try this infinite loop repair guide for Win 7 - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

Tekken

#5 rapsfan08

rapsfan08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the link.  Couldn't get past step 10.  when i tried to find the dir in cd \windows\system32\config it came back with file not found.  any other suggestions or am i screwed?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi rapsfan08

I guess you are not familiar with DOS commands. The "file not found" error is due to you are using wrong drive letter. In most cases your C drive may assigned letter D in Windows recovery command prompt (The hidden 100MB partition should be the C). So in the step 10 you could  try "CD /d D:\Windows\System32\Config" and follow the directions.

If it is difficult for you to navigate through command line there is an easy way using GUI. Read the below guide to know how to use GUI copy and paste functions in recovery prompt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/93347-copy-paste-windows-recovery-console.html

What you need to do is to find Windows drive (The one with "Windows" and "Users" folders in it - Usually D in recovery console) and navigate to "Windows\System32\Config" folder. 

Create a new folder named "MyBackup" and copy the contents of "config" folder to it as a backup insurance.

Now copy the five files inside "Config\Regback" folder (DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SYSTEM and SOFTWARE) and paste them to "Config" folder (Confirm overwriting ).

Hope this helps.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Please check instruction #8 first and confirm its your system drive.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users