Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Death of a Dell Inspiron 1525: it's time for a resurrection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

The subject line says it all; my father and I about a half year ago or something, were watching a video on his computer when it just all of a sudden just died for no reason; it was plugged in and was running on AC power, though the battery is still good.  And then, right in the middle of the video, it just died; lights went out, and then it would not turn back on no matter what we did, whether we had it plugged in or not; I even think we tried a different charger as well, though that was kind of pointless since the battery was running at 100 percent anyway.  I'm really curious what could be causing this, for I would like to fix this computer for him.  It has an intel board, I think, with a Core 2 Duo T5400 processor running at I believe 2.4 GHZ or something like that, I'm not sure.  It was running Vista the last time I ever saw it run.  I'm wondering if this is more of a power supply or board issue, for I want to ensure that I purchase the right part the first time and not go hunting for the wrong thing unintentionally.  What do you guys think based on the symptoms?  With my years of being with technology since 2008, I've gotten quite good at figuring out hardware related issues, but this one's a little stumper there; I can't figure it out.  I think it's the power supply, but other folks I have brought it up to on places like YouTube think that it's the board.  Now, interestingly enough, I remember when my father would start up this computer back when it would turn on and work, he would get those messages about "bad image" on the logon screen, and I know that that can be either hardware or malware related, and this little Dell Inspiron certainly has had it's share of malware on it that I would have to clean off, but I'm wondering if the signs were there, I just didn't know how to interpret them back then?  Thanks for any help; it's very much appreciated. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

any lights at all ?

if it quit with full battery and plugged in I would suspect it overheated.

you can check your pwer supply voltage, then check for voltage on the other side of jack to eliminate a faulty jack issue.

remove drives, ram, if board is getting power it should at least give you a beep or a flashing light error code

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'll definitely try those suggestions when I get home; I'm at college right now, and I think my father would want me to be there while we do this.  And if it overheated, what do you suggest I do to prevent it from continuously overheating when he wants to do something with it?  I ask because I have the same computer at home too (it's sitting in my room not doing anything right now though it will be), and now mine is starting to display problems, though different ones than his, obviously.  So I'm wondering if we now have two Inspirons that need fan scrubbings? 

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

And oops, I should say that there are no lights at all; no hard drive activity, and the CPU fan doesn't even try to turn on. 

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

sounds like dead motherboard but cleaning out clogs of dust does wonders. We can start up conversation again when you get home and are ready to tackle your problems.

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Sounds good, and I'm going to call him later on, so I shall advise him to try turning it on after these couple months and see if it even will do so.  Now that is interesting; you think it's worth cleaning a fan?  I ask because my friend told me that a Dell technician told him that fan cleaning is kind of useless and replacements are better, though I have seen a fan get clean on YouTube, so obviously there's some potential there. 

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

I clean them all the time and squirt some contact cleaner/ lubricant in the bearing (your cleaner must have lube, it will say on the can).

You will know when they are shot. They will either not spin or make so much noise you won't want it in the machine.

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

LOL.  Sort of sounds like what my Inspiron 1525 is doing; the fan just outright howls.  However, my father's doesn't have that problem last I checked.  I'm going home next week, so I'll see what happens then.  My other friend told me the other day that she had something similar to this happen to her Toshiba and then she turned it on the next day and it was just fine.  For my father, it's been a few months. 

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

If your fathers was quiet , maybe it wasn't working at all. Not good.

If you do plan to take yours apart ... I would consider putting in a new fan because it is time consuming to take laptop apart.

Ohh, and I won't wait for the Toshiba spiritual awakening :)

#10 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the hand.  I'll let you know what happens when my father and I start his.  He has two now since he assumed that it could never work again and bought another one that's not made as well; I don't particularly like Dell's new style for their inspiron line.   And you're making me wonder; you said that it may not have been working at all? I wonder for as I mentioned in my first post, all throughout the computers life, when somebody went to log in, it would give those "bad image" error messages. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users