Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Notebook has Booting Problems / W7 Prem. Home Ed.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NdotA

NdotA

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

the notebook of my wife entcounters problems when booting. Seems like ony part of Windows is started.

Make of Notebook: Samsung NP305E7A (from nameplate)
no additional hardware (except mouse of course :-)

OS: Windows 7 Premium Home Edition, Automatic update enabled
Virus Protection: WSE, but I do not know when the last scan took place. My wife does not do much on the internet.

Problem:
When starting the computer the boot option screen appeares (for the shutdown was not done properly before, see below)

Starting 'Normal mode':
Stratup procedure seems normal, maybe a little slow, but this might well be a deception.
The buttons in the bottom bar (is that the navigation bar? not so sure about the terminology) however are not responding to moese-action. Clicking the start button should open the menu, but only a tiny white space appears, I'd guess 1 by 10 pixel, above the button.
Clicking an icon, say adobe reader, this prog starts, but it seems, all windows-input is gone. No directory, no file selection, no menu bar, just a stripped version of it. After some time the screen deteriorates and the computer crashes to a BSOD. But this does not last long enough for me to take note of the information there.
Could not make out how to start Windows Explorer.

Starting safe mode
Occasionally I managed to have windows explorer opened, but the view is much reduced in size, size of a postal stamp. Whenever a window could be openes, it looks that all the text messages, button texts were missing.

What I did:

From anothe rthread in this forum i got the idea of removing and reinserting the battery - to no avail.
Same result from starting in safe mode with networking and sutting down from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Norbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'm not clear on this, can you boot into Safe Mode?

By tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button you will open the Advanced Boot Options where you can choose the Safe Mode.  Another option there is Last Known Good Configuration, if you can get to the Advanced Boot Options click on that option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for your fast response.

Yes, I could boot to safe mode and to last known good configuration. Under both options the problem persists.

Looks like fonts or textmessages are missing. Helptext shows when started in safe mode though, but all other textmessages are just empty. Message box and icons show all right but the texts are just gone.

Moving the mouse over the screen, it looks like the system wants to show the tooltips when the mouse hovers over an item, but as there is no text / font available, the box is very tiny, 2 by 10 pixels.

I do not know how to check on the system's files as I cannot open windows explorer.

Norbert

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Do you have the installation disc for Windows 7?

If not, you can go to this site where they have a tutorial for doing a repair installation.  This includes making a ISO Windows 7 installation disc.

This will not effect your data, programs, user accounts or system drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Found a System Recovery disc.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

The recovery disc will return the computer to the state it came out of the box.  You will lose all data, ect.

You can use another free operating system like Ubuntu to copy your important files to an external source of media, such as CDs, DVDs, flash drive, external hdd, etc.

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

#7 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, I will do as you advise.

But I will have to procure some writable discs first, don't have any in the house, so I will be back tomorrow.
... unless you can mail one to me, of course. :-D

Norbert

#8 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yapadapadoo,

just during one of the last tries I spotted the option 'repair computer' among the advanced boot options. Just figured that this could not be this wrong. I had the system resored before one of the last windows updates and -BINGO- here we go again.

Best regards from the Black Forest Mountains in Germany (that's where the Coocoo-Clocks come from when they do not come from somewhere in Asia) to the hills of Northern California.

And Thanks.

Norbert

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I hope that all is resolved. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users