Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making Room for my new Puppy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Greetings everyone.

Looking to play with my new distro and do some learning along the way.

I would like to dual boot (if possible ) Slacko Puppy 5.5 on an old Dell Optiplex GX 240 which currently has Windows XP SP3 on it.

The Dell also has a Pentium 4 in it  (1.70 Ghz) and I just recently upgraded it to 1 GB of RAM.

I've tried Live versions of Ubuntu, Mint and, of course, the Puppy. All three ran pretty well and I'm aware that by installing in on the HD things should improve even more.

Please note that this is a used computer I bought (and cleaned up) for the purpose of exploring so if I break it, I won't lose anything as I haven't put anything of mine on it.

So here are some questions I have for this part of the adventure:

• Am I able to dual boot with this set up?
  • Will I need to partition the HD to make this happen?
  • Should I just blow Windows off this machine and let my Puppy run free?

My goal here is get familiar with Linux, stumble my through some parts of it and learn, which is why I elected not to go with either Mint and/or Ubuntu. They both seemed very nice and were easy to negotiate through because of their similarities to Windows.

I'm am not coming at this from a "I hate Windows" position but rather which distro is some *in-between* point of super-easy to learn and which one will force me to read more, explore more, play more and learn more.

I'm aware that there are numerous distros out there...been doing a lot of reading and *whew* it can get overwhelming at times, but I'm still loving it and still having fun.

As for what I'd like to do with the distro; not much really. Surf the 'net, post on Bleeping and do some audio editing, that's probably the biggest use. I tweak, clean and mix up a lot of audio using Audacity.

Thanks in advance for the help, feedback and information and also thanks for being out there.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

hello,

you should be able to create a dual boot with xp and linux.  since it seems that you are considering options, I suggest you check out OS4 and zorin.  puppy is a good distro, but there are alot of questions that you will need to answer.  being your first attempt at a dual boot, I would go with a much easier installer (you can always install something else later).  OS4 and zorin are also great distros that are solid and very customizable. 

about the installation.  you breeze through answering about your name, password and time zone (etc), then you get to a part where you can mess up your xp (be careful).  you can choose to 'install xp and linux side by side' or 'manual install'.  which ever way you choose (they will both work if done correctly), be careful NOT to install linux over your xp partition.  definitely DO NOT choose to let linux use the entire disk.  if you're not sure, you can always cancel (there should be a 'back' button there as well) the install or even hard kill the computer.  it's better than overwriting your xp.  use discretion.

if you're sure that you didn't overwrite your xp, let the installer finish.  it installs grub2 which, after installation and reboot, gives you a menu where you get to choose to boot to xp or linux.

I like xp quite a bit myself.  I create dual boot's all the time. 

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

>bows<

Thank you ejames82 for taking the time, the explanation and the additional suggestions. I've been bookmarking quite a few distros over at DistroWatch but had not seen these two. As I mentioned in my OP, it can get a little overwhelming, so any suggestions and/or feedback is always welcome.

Of the two, I think I will be trying the Zorin OS and see how that goes. I'll give you an update in a day or so.

onward,

Winterland

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

Well...I came here to learn a little something and boy howdy did I!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I went ahead and downloaded / burned an .iso file of the OS4 distro (not sure why I typed Zorin OS) and I went with it due to it not being like Windows.

First problem I ran into was classic noob. The OS4 distro was just a bit over a Gb, so I burned the .iso file to a DVD and dropped it into the CD-ROM tray of the old machine....which didn't read it 'cause it was a DVD.  :mellow:

I admit, I felt a little foolish. I gather now that you probably meant for me to load the distro onto a USB and work from that, but that didn't occur to me at that moment because, well, I'm still a noob.

So, I decided, what the heck, I'll just install Puppy, which I did. Completed the process (blowing off Windows and doing a Full Install of Puppy) and then rebooted.

But alas, my USB keyboard was not being recognized. It showed that Linux was ready to boot, all I had to do was hit the ENTER key on my keyboard and it was ready to go. I rebooted a couple of times and was able to get into my BIOS settings and, as you might guess, my USB keyboard was working just fine.  Arrrghh, I said.

Next day at work I found an old PS/2 style keyboard our IT guy said he didn't need and that I was welcome to. Plugged it in this morning, booted up, hit the ENTER key and then....woof! woof!   here I am at Bleeping posing this update with a super crappy old Compaq keyboard that works well with my new Puppy. :busy:

So my next question is this: is there a driver I can install so that my computer will recognize a USB keyboard?

Also wanted to make mention that I did verify the .iso image of OS4 on the DVD on my other newer computer (the one running Win 7). Loaded it, ran it from the DVD and played around with it and discovered I did not like it, so I'm still glad I went with the Puppy.

At least for now. And, I am now having issues with my Win7 machine after test driving the OS4 from a Live Disc, but I'll post those issues over on the Win7 Forums.

Thanks again for the help.

onward,

Winterland

#5 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

merely running OS4 from live disk doesn't have any effect on the hard drive.  it's when you choose 'install' that you can overwrite windows, and there are tools like gparted, cfdisk and fdisk that can delete the partition.  I don't think you did that because you know about those tools and you know what they're for.  it was coincidence that you're having problems at this point.  first thing I would suspect is dust inside the computer causing overheating.  windows is constantly requiring attention.  especially MS, java, and adobe updates.  don't forget antivirus and firewall. 

maybe the windows7 got jealous that you're visiting other OS's?  :)

"crappy old Compaq keyboard"

this doesn't matter so much.

"works well"

this DOES matter.

I can't add much about your keyboard and driver woes, except that half of the installation I try don't work properly.  I would just try another distro.  it's way quicker.  as far as installing is concerned, I still prefer the cd/dvd method.

#6 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

ejames82, good morning and thanks for getting back to me.

"maybe the windows7 got jealous that you're visiting other OS's?"  my wife said the same thing which made us both crack up. :P

I appreciate the time and your feedback. I am going to forge ahead for a little while with this Puppy and then take your advice about trying another distro.

onward,

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users