Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help with extremely slow internet speed.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Problem

Mr.Problem

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

So I've switched from shaw to telus for about 2 weeks and the internet's been bothering me quite alot. Usually before 6pm the internet would work fine. But today I tried to download some torrents and watch vids online and its just way too slow. DL speed might go up to 600 kb/s for a couple secs and drop straight down, but right now, its not even passing 100kb/s. I can't do any kind of competitive gaming due to huge ping spikes that happen every 5 seconds, but some of the other computers in the house seem to be doing fine though. I don't know how to fix this but would love to have it done. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Please download MiniToolBox and run it on the troublesome PC. Also run speedtest.net and post results from the trouble computer and one that seems to be operating "normally"

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Try setting up QOS rules for your computer in the router? That way you can prioritize what computer gets what packets and etc..

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Make sure you have the proper ports forward for your torrent clients and games (QOS as chrisd87 said would help set that up) on the router AND computer firewall. Call your ISP and complain you pay for your bandwidth they should verify the speed to the router/modem. Generally after the modem/router connection its up to you.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 May 2013 - 06:30 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Also setting up UPnP will take care of all the pain of setting up ports and forwarding for you as long as your router supports it.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 Mr.Problem

Mr.Problem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the help but i got it fixed up by the people. Sorry for the late reply!

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

"The people" would be your ISP?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer