Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem: Printing symbols in file put on c drive by dos x copy function

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have a problem when using dos  x copy,  to copy a file from wp51 for DOS, to a created dir on the C; drive,

then printing same to the screen, using the c:\type c: (name of file).

The wp51 file, which was copied to a named directory on the c: drive, does type/print to the screen,

HOWEVER, WP51 PROGRAMMING gibberish appears, before the  accurate print of the file.

In other words, the correct printed file is preceded by gibberish and symbols such as

WPCD , then a box,  a smiley face and other symbols, which I know to be wp51 programming symbols.

Does anybody have an idea for putting something in the c:\type  c:\(name of file) command which will eliminate this problem?

I have gone to the printer properties and changed the processor setting from RAW to TEXT,  but that doesn't help.  I tried a few of the other print processor settings, but they produce the same result.

What I am really trying to do is get a wp51 file to print to a newer windows printer, which will not print from DOS.   I have used the following command:

c:\d:\net use lpt1\\(name of computer)\(share name of printer)  c:\wp51\(directory)\(file name)

This will print the document, but it is even more replete with the above programming symbols, scattered throughout the document, this time.

I figured I would use x copy from DOS to get the file printed to the screen, then try to print from the screen--

since I haven't gotten that far with the x copy route, the more I think about it, the less I believe the windows printer will print it from the screen. So, my second route above seems more probable to be successful, if I can figure out how to get rid of the programming symbols.

Is there a programmer among you?  I'm not really that conversant with programming language, BASIC etc.?

NERDS, feel free to respond with precious advice!

44 Guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

This will always happen if you process a word processor format file this way. I don't understand your reference to printer properties in regard to showing the text on the screen, the two are not related.

Does this mean you don't have access to MS Word or any other Windows word processor that can import the WP file and print it that way?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

This will always happen if you process a word processor format file this way. I don't understand your reference to printer properties in regard to showing the text on the screen, the two are not related.

Does this mean you don't have access to MS Word or any other Windows word processor that can import the WP file and print it that way?

Dear Platypus; Love your symbol and thank you for the reply.
The connection to printer properties is that you can go to the advanced tab, then down to "processors" and a screen will come up with a choice of processor language, such as RAW, TEXT and several NT windows options.  Many printers use RAW and sometimes if you switch this choice to TEXT, the printing will come out better.

I am aware that I can open up the wp51 Dos file using the converter in Word or, even better, WP6x or later versions of wordperfect for windows.  However, that requires exiting the DOS wp51 program, opening the windows wordprocessing program, opening the wp51 file in the latter program.  It requires several more steps and, many times, I want to stay in the DOS program where, truthfully, I can proceed with word processing much, much quicker than the mindless point and click, numerous menued windows word processors. (By the way, Windows WORD is, in my opinion, the worst word processor in the nation and should be deep sixed forever!).

Perhaps I should explore whether Linnux and its word processor programs might print from DOS, although I doubt it because the printers are really the problem, not the operating system.

What is your opinion of current Linnux software?

44 Guy

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have had very little occasion to use Linux seriously, so I have no experience of its printing capabilities. Have you perused the resources here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/

My puzzlement about the printer properties was due to you quoting it in the context of typing to the screen, which doesn't involve the printer driver. If you were hoping to printscreen that then fair enough. I'm still unclear why you're using xcopy to move the file to another location - just making it easy to locate?

Assuming WP is running in a Windows DOS session, have you tried copying the text to the clipboard and pasting it into something like Wordpad? If that worked it would just be copy, Alt-tab, paste, print, which should be less trouble than working through the DOS prompt? If the text is small enough to fit on a single screen and WP is in full-screen mode, the copy would only be a single keystroke (PrtSc).

#5 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wow, Platypus! What a great link to a great article you sent me. I missed this one in my quest for such articles.

I will thoroughly explore the ideas in this article.

The statement in the article under the heading " the reason" directly coincides with my feeling - that WP51 for DOS is the best wordprocessor ever written. This is why I continue to use it in my business after 20 years of using same. Learned keyboard commands beat the stupid "point and click" windows programs every time.

I also agree about XP being the operating system of choice. In fact, I am looking for a new laptop and shall have to purchase same from a competent private computer "guru's" shop, who can remove the new programs and just put XP on the laptop. This is what I did last time, as my current laptop came with the disgrusting Windows Vista, which I had removed immediately. I never even booted Vista up...I heard too much about its deficits.

Although current "touch screens" are lots of fun for fooling around, I see little use for it in my business work, so Windows 8 doesn't really appeal to me.

I am interested in the LIBRE product mentioned in the article.

You mention using the Prt Screen button - I have to laugh because I haven't been able to get that to work for at least ten years now and consider it the "vestigial organ of the keyboard!" Perhaps you know something I don't know--love to hear it!

If it worked, I could just xcopy the wp51article to the screen and hit Prn Screen --and don't think I haven't tried it, to no avail.

I don't think the WP51 clipboard will work with Windows based programs. It would be neat if it did.

As for configuring Control Panel to receive all topic reply notfications, I am not sure how to do that. Could you enlighten me?

Thanks for your time and attention to this topic, which I am sure will be of importance to the many fans of WP51 for Dos.

44 Guy

Edited by 44guy, 29 April 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

I never learned WP, but being an old DOS user, I use Ctrl and Alt shortcuts readily. And I also immediately reverted my previous laptop to XP, whereas it was supplied with Vista.

Prtsc doesn't work to print when in a DOS session, it copies to the Windows clipboard.

http://studymore.org.uk/wp51.htm#Clipboard

My thought there was if both the DOS session and WP itself are running in full-screen mode, I think this should copy only the displayed text to the clipboard with a single keystroke. Thus if the document only fills one screen, having something like WordPad open, you could Prtsc, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-P. If the document is larger than a single screenful, more steps.

I think for setting up notifications, in Notification Options\Topics & Posts, if you check Auto follow topics I reply to and experiment with the notification options, you should be able to set it up how you want it. I don't use it myself, so I'm not clear how all the options work. I guess i should try it out shouldn't I?

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I never learned WP, but being an old DOS user, I use Ctrl and Alt shortcuts readily. And I also immediately reverted my previous laptop to XP, whereas it was supplied with Vista.

Prtsc doesn't work to print when in a DOS session, it copies to the Windows clipboard.

http://studymore.org.uk/wp51.htm#Clipboard

My thought there was if both the DOS session and WP itself are running in full-screen mode, I think this should copy only the displayed text to the clipboard with a single keystroke. Thus if the document only fills one screen, having something like WordPad open, you could Prtsc, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-P. If the document is larger than a single screenful, more steps.

I think for setting up notifications, in Notification Options\Topics & Posts, if you check Auto follow topics I reply to and experiment with the notification options, you should be able to set it up how you want it. I don't use it myself, so I'm not clear how all the options work. I guess i should try it out shouldn't I?

Platypus:  Thanks for the additional link to WP51 handbook.

I will try these methods and see whether prt screen will, in fact, put the document on a clip board which can be used in

a Word new document.. I must admit, I have my doubts.

As for notifications, I'll try to figure this out. Right now, I'm too busy, but when I get spare time I will

sort all of this out.

I just noticed you are from Australia! I think of Australians as our "country cousins", sort of.

Same sort of outlook - independent and free minded. The way things are going in the US of late, I may one day pick up and go down there!

Thanks. I'll let you know how I make out.

44 guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users