Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update and Microsoft Security Essentials not working properly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jrpage74

jrpage74

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I can not get Windows 7 Update to work at all.  I receive a message that the service is currently not running and to restart the computer.  This does nothing.  I have gone into services under "services.msc" and windows update is not listed as running or stopped.

I came across this issue while trying to get Microsoft Security Essentials to update.  I keep getting an error code.  Of course now that I am writing this and try to get the error code to reference, the update works.  The MSE not updating is a chronic problem for me.

I am still fairly new to the forum, so please let me know if there is additional information, or I make a slip-up.

Thank you.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonstonx64

jonstonx64

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

So is MSE updating now as well as Windows Update? Do you still have the problem or did it somewhat fix itself? If it continues to happen, write down the error code as it is printed on your screen and post it here.

Edited by jonstonx64, 27 April 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#3 jrpage74

jrpage74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Sorry,

Windows Update still will not start.  The error message I get is:

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer."

#4 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have gone into services under "services.msc" and windows update is not listed as running or stopped.

First of all, hello Jr.  Hope we can help you.

So if it is not listed as running or stopped, then what is it listed as?  Did you attempt starting the service once you right clicked, and then properties?

#5 jrpage74

jrpage74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

That is the problem.  It was not listed at all, so there was nothing to right click on.

#6 jonstonx64

jonstonx64

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Ok follow these steps, and as always I recommend creating a System Restore point when changing or deleting any Windows files and/or folders.

• Go to Services and Stop the Windows Update service. Go to Run and type "services.msc" to locate your Services
  • Delete all the contect, folders and files, in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\
  • Go back to Services and Start the Windows Update service.
  • Check for updates.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

#7 jrpage74

jrpage74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

The problem is, Windows Update is not listed on the services list and I don't know what to do.

I attached a screen shot to illustrate my dilemma. (or at least I tried)

Edited by jrpage74, 28 April 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#8 jonstonx64

jonstonx64

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Navigate to here -- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ -- and download the Windows Repair All-In-One. When you run it, check all the boxes even though your problem is just Windows Update. There might be other problems as well. What is missing is your wuauserv.reg. This should fix the problem.

If it doesn't navigate to here -- http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/files/file/9-registry-network-keys/ -- and download seven.zip and extract the wuauserv.reg out of the zip file, double-click it, and restart your computer.

I hope one of these solutions fixes your problem. It sounds like you have been infected with some sort of malware/virus. I also recommend running a scan with with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and your Anti-Virus, to see if anything comes up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-a-trojan-virus-worm-or-malware/ - Here is a more thorough explanation on removing infections from your computer.

#9 jrpage74

jrpage74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

First of all, thank you for all of your great help.

I ran the windows-repair-all-in-one and it did the trick on windows update, which apparently had been removed from my system.  It also fixed the firewall program which had also been removed apparently.  Widnows update is currently installing 45 updates and a quick scan with Microsoft Security Essentials found "Exploit:HTML/IframeRef.Z" and quarantined it.  I am going to run a Malwarebytes scan now.  Is there anything else I should be running to do additional checks?  Hopefully the MSE will keep working properly now.  I have also been using WinPatrolExplorer as recommended by another member here.

#10 jonstonx64

jonstonx64

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

It's no problem. I enjoy helping people and solving the many problems that can occur with a computer.

I would first:

That's really basic without checking for rootkits which I would do if problems continued. I like to look at what starts up when my computer starts, too. You can access that by going to the Start menu and click Run > type "msconfig". It's just to check for suspicious files, and you can check anything you don't know with the database here at BC. One last thing is I like to check my connections after a clean Restart. You can do this by going to the Start menu and click Run > type "command". In the command prompt "netstat" lets you see your internet connections. I would begin by typing "netstat -n" which will show all your computers connections, and if I see a lot of questionable connections, I will type "netstat -b" which will show which programs are causing me to have all those connections. You can further take whatever file you think could be a virus and upload it to http://www.virustotal.com. This website will run a virus through all the Anti-Virus programs such as Kaspersky, BitDefender, AVG, Avast!, Nod32, etc.

That's just something to think about, but I'm glad your problem was fixed.

Edited by jonstonx64, 28 April 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#11 wayneg12345

wayneg12345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

jonstonx64

I would also like to thank you for your "fix" on the Windows Update error.  I ran across your post on a search for this exact same issue, and I am happy to say that the "windows-repair-all-in-one" did the trick!!

Thanks again!!

#12 juppy

juppy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Navigate to here -- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ -- and download the Windows Repair All-In-One. When you run it, check all the boxes even though your problem is just Windows Update. There might be other problems as well. What is missing is your wuauserv.reg. This should fix the problem.

If it doesn't navigate to here -- http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/files/file/9-registry-network-keys/ -- and download seven.zip and extract the wuauserv.reg out of the zip file, double-click it, and restart your computer.

I hope one of these solutions fixes your problem. It sounds like you have been infected with some sort of malware/virus. I also recommend running a scan with with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and your Anti-Virus, to see if anything comes up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-a-trojan-virus-worm-or-malware/ - Here is a more thorough explanation on removing infections from your computer.

I almost wanted to give my laptop a special treatment with a sledgehammer. Than it took the whole sunday afternoon using the tools from bleepingcomputer. Now my laptop runs smoothly again. I really appreciate your post man. Thanks a lot...    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users