Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unrar a file in OS X natively... or any other ideas...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

So... I have a macbook, that crapped out on me and won't boot up but it will go to the menu to choose which volume to boot from. So I have a backed up dmg file of snow leopard (the highest os this macbook can boot) but I have no way to burn it as my desktop is a pc.

I go to a very large university with a big mac lab in the library so I decided to put the dmg file on a flash drive and bring it over to the library to burn a startup disk. Good idea except the dmg file is like 6.5GB and the biggest file that the fat32 filesystem on the flash drive can hold is like 2GB or something... Basically the entire dmg doesn't fit as a whole so I split it up into 4 parts using winrar.

I get over to the library only to find that the computers don't have unrarx or any other utility to deal with rar files. I went to download one and install it, but I am not an admin on the system so it says that I don't have the privileges to run the program.

TL;DR:

I am stuck at the library with 4 rar files on a flash drive that I need to unpack without actually installing anything. Is there a way to do this natively in OS X or some trick that I could try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

If you have a flash drive larger than needed for the DMG file, why not just reformat the drive as a Mac formatted flash drive?  Or are you prevented from doing that on the University lab Macs?  If you can, then you won't need to deal with RAR files.

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

If you have a flash drive larger than needed for the DMG file, why not just reformat the drive as a Mac formatted flash drive?  Or are you prevented from doing that on the University lab Macs?  If you can, then you won't need to deal with RAR files.

Well, I only had a pc desktop where I originally had the DMG file. But I ended up solving my issue. I went to a pc in the library with winrar, and then copied the unrared the file, set it on the desktop, and then reformatted the drive that the DMG file was being installed on as NTFS, and then copied the whole file over. Then I copied the file from the NTFS drive to the desktop of the mac, and then restored the drive using the DMG file. I forgot that macs can read NTFS just not write to it. Anyways, all is good now... Typing this from said laptop. Thanks anyways!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users