Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dx8vb.dll missing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Win 7 HP 64 bit, AMD Athlon 2, ASUS mobo, 4Gb RAM

I have a glider sim called 'Glider Simulator' written for XP and published by First Class Simulations in the UK, and every time I try to run it I get an error message saying 'DX8VB.DLL missing - re-install'.

In the last half hour, I have been onto the MS site and downloaded and installed the 'DirectX End-User Runtimes' file to be told I have a later version and no installation is required, and un-installed and re-installed the sim. Only to be told 'DX8VB.dll' missing' !  I have the sim installed on a folder on the 'C; drive, not in 'Program Files x86', as is recommended for older games. I have two other oldish sims - CFS 1 and MS Train Simulator - running on this computer wiithout any problem, which makes it odder.

Anybody got any ideas ?

I am not pretending that this sim is mission critical - I can live without it. But it is annoying, and it is a truly great sim !

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Do you have a Windows XP disk. You can get that file from the I386 folder.

On my old XP desktop, it's in the Windows\System32 folder, (as you would expect)
and also the System32\dllcache folder.

If you are still dual booting, you should have it anyway.

It's not on the Win 7 64 bit system, but if you get a copy of the file, you could try it in
Win 7, Windows\System 32.  

Edited by petewills , 02 May 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Pete,

I will give that a whirl since I have two laptops within six feet of me that are running XP. If the file is there, I will try copying it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

If the file is not picked up from W7\System32, put a copy in the next folder, Windows\SysWOW64 and try that. It worked for me on another old game where I had a .dll in system32, which didn't do anything.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hi Pete,

I lifted a copy off a laptop running XP and copied the file into both Sys32 and SysWOW64. As the old saying goes 'Two steps forward, one step back !'

I am no longer getting a message saying cannot find DX8VB.DLL - I am now getting a completely blank black screen which continues until I hit the 'Esc' key !  I suppose this can be considered progress of a sort, but I think it is back to the drawing board on this one.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hi Chris

I imagine you were not too thrilled, when your screen disappeared!

When you hit the Esc key, does the program load, or are you saying you just get your desktop back.

Has there ever been any update for your glider program, since 2006? (I think that's when it came out).

I assume you have tried running the program in compatibility mode for XP, SP3, or running it as Administrator.

Delete the .dll file from system32 and see if it runs from the WOW64 folder, or delete it from WOW64 and see if it runs from the system32 folder, unless you have already tried this.

From what I have read, amongst many other things, the WOW64 folder is supposed to be of assistance with older 32 bit applications; perhaps you only need the file in the WOW64 folder.

FYI, my dx8vb.dll file is dated 14.4.2008 (1199 KB / 1.16MB).

Like you, most of my games are installed outside Program Files, although the game I mentioned
which needed the file in WOW64 was actually installed in Program Files (x86).
(I must have accepted the default, in lazy fashion).

If you ever upgraded to Win 7 Pro, you could run everything in XP Mode, although that may be more trouble than it's worth, as most old stuff runs, or can generally be made to run in Win 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, SP1.

[ I also have MS Flight Simulator, 2004, (FS9), which runs very well on XP and Win 7 64 Bit.
Apart from it being a superb true simulation, it also has a Schweizer sailplane, which is great to fly anywhere in the world - scenery not bad at all. Thoroughly recommend this sim, it must be cheap now.]

Edited by petewills , 04 May 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi Pete,

I'm way ahead of you there - I've got CFS 1, 2 and 3, FS 9 and FSX on this computer, as well as the old MS Train sim and Train Simulator 2013 ! The only two of these I have had problems with are MSTS and CFS 1. MSTS must be the most irritating sim going to install on a modern operating system. I have had it run straight out of the box on a default install, and on other occasions sweated blood to get it to run !  The only problem I have had with CFS 1 is getting it to recognise my joystick.

Anyway, Sails of Silver or Glider Sim. Yes, I get a completely black screen which reverts to my desktop when I key 'Esc'. There are a couple of updates which I have on file for this sim. I think what I will do the next time I install it is try running it as a straight install and them add the updates one at a time and see what happens, I put them all in yesterday before I tried running it.

Unhappily, work keeps getting in the way !  At the moment I have about 8 or 9,000 photos to catalogue for a project I am involved with, and my organiser would like them by the end of the month. Ain't life a bleep ?

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

Hi Chris

Most strange, ah well, you can always run it on the XP systems, I suppose, but perseverance is the key.
I hate to be stumped with what should be a simple exercise.

Of course, you can always get different, free, glider models for FS9, from Simviation and the files aren't too large. They would probably also work in FSX.  I expect you're ahead of me there, too.

I also have the flightsims you mention, (plus Falcon 4), but just the basic FSX demo.
CFS2 has always been my favourite and has been thoroughly modded over the years.

Good luck with your project, that's a lot of photos and work. (War Graves, presumably).

Cheers.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hi Pete,

This is beginning to annoy me. There are two DirectX 9 installers on the MS site - dxwebsetup.exe and directx_mar2009_redist.exe .  Downloading and running the first merely came up with the message 'DirctX already installed, no further installation required'. The second - all 39 Mb of it - requires to be unpacked and then run. Running it appeared to carry out an installation but made no difference to the sim.

OK, uninstall the sim and re-install with DX9 already in place and try again. I won't say I had my hopes up, but I wasn't too disappointed to get the black screen again. Actually, it's not completely black. A second or two after the screen goes black, there is a flicker of a white oblong perhaps 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch high rougly mid-way between the centre of the screen and the bottom LH corner, and then it is solid black until I either right click or hit the 'Esc' button. This has been prsent on all the black screens. It's almost as if the sim is trying to run but can't quite make it.

As I said, this is not a life and death matter. I don't have all that much time for simming anyway. I shall continue as and when time permits.

You are right, the photos are for TWGPP.org. The problem is now that we are trying to sort out quality issues with our image library and getting the light anywhere near good on a gravestone means (a) the sun has got to shine, and, (B) you have to be there at the right time of day. Jean and I are willing to do the (B) bit, but we can't make the sun shine on demand !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hi Chris

This patch should be included in SP1, but if not on your system, it may help.

"Install this update to resolve issues with non-compatible applications for Windows 7." 

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976264)

I expect you're ahead of me, in your DirectX investigations, but,

"If you're having problems getting a game or movie to play properly":

Re hardware acceleration and updated graphics drivers, I'm wondering if it might be worth
trying to run it with acceleration OFF and the basic VGA display.
I generally try everything, just in case.

If you upgraded to Win 7 Pro, there's always XP Mode to try. Otherwise virtual machines.
Lot of hassle for one old sim, though.

FYI, I posed the question on the Flightstore website - 

(if this is the simulator you have);

this was the response:

"Hi Sir This only runs on windows XP or lower as stated on our website,
it is not capable of running on anything higher."

That's so definite, you just have to regard it as a challenge and prove them wrong.
--------------------------

Sun don't shine much down here, either.

Cheers.

Edited by petewills , 20 May 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the continued interest !  I have taken a copy of your suggestions to try at a more convenient time.

I am surprised at the definite tone you quote as it is quite possible to get even older sims to run on Win 7 - CFS1 and MSTS for two. MSTS can be a real pain to install but the only problem I had with CFS1 was getting it to recognise my joystick. I did in fact try a VM to run XP and MSTS in, but it wasn't a success. The game installed and loaded without problems but ran very slowly, about 7 or 8 fps, but I have heard this said about VMs and other games.

Regards,

Chris

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

I agree. All my old games run OK on Win 7.
Seems to be no logical reason why the later Glider Sim is a problem.
Good luck in your endeavours.
Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users