Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup repair won't backup files prior to System Reset

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Earlier this week my computer started acting up.
I keep coming to the Startup Repair screen, it runs this for awhile then gives me several options.
I was going to do a system restore but it says that no restore points have been created.
Was going to try and do a System reset but I get the following error message when I try to back up my files

Recoverymgr.exe application error
The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d)
Occurred at location 0x4000ee1aa

Running Windows 7 64 on
Compac CQ60-615DX

I am semi tech savvy and I can usually figure out how to fix most problems so this is frustrating to me.
I can definitely follow most instructions so any help is appreciated.

Many thanks
Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry Cutliffe

Larry Cutliffe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi Robin,

Try booting into Safe Mode and try the Last known good configuration option. This will take you back to a point where your system was in a state where you could successfully log on before whatever caused it to fail. I have used this to fix start-up repair failure on Windows 7 machines before. 

Hope this helps.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Hi Rockin Robin

Do you have a PC or a Laptop ?. Which brand and which model ? 

By system reset do you mean restoring recovery image ? . If that is the case you may lose all the data in your HDD. 

Is it happened suddenly or after some virus attack , sudden shutdown etc ?

#4 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

@ Larry
I have tried virtually every option in the F8 menu.
Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt last know good configuration, etc...
All options eventually lead me back to HP's "Startup Repair".

@Anshad...tried "image recovery" but never knew to make such an image so FAIL on this one...
I have a laptop, the make and model are in The OP. Laptop started acting up earlier in the week. Had it fixed once but system crashed again after the first restart. Wish I had had the foresight to backup my files at that time but again, epic fail!
While it was up and running, I DID run a complete virus scan on ALL the files but it came up clean?

So I made and ran a "Repair Disc for Windows 7 64 bit" with my son's laptop from Microsoft's website with the following results:

The first option is the Startup Repair option. When I ran this from the disc it says "Startup Repair could not detect a problem" and then there are several "System Recovery" menu options available.
1.Tried System Restore but no restore points were available. (I KNOW there were many prior to this crash)
2. Again next option in the menu is System Image Recovery, but again epic fail due to my lack of knowledge on this point.
3. Next option in the System Recovery menu from the disc is Windows Memory Diagnostics. Ran the extended memory test.
This took the better half of this morning to complete but the whole way through this the test kept reporting no errors found.
At the end of the test, the computer was supposed to reboot and give any errors but at the end of this test the computer rebooted back again to "Startup repair" instead.
4. The final option in the System Recovery Options menu is Command Prompt. This boots up but due to my lack of knowledge in this delicate area I did not attempt anything there.

I am pretty sure I can do a clean install of Windows but I know I will lose all of my files ( pics, music, documents, etc.) with this option so I haven't attempted this yet. When I do try and do the backup files option I get the error message as stated in my original post.
Isn't there a way to do a file backup from the Command Prompt option so I don't lose my data??

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I really appreciate it!

Robin
(Funny thing, though... I always thought the main hard drive letter was ALWAYS C: but mine seems to say it is D: ?? Not sure this matters? But thought I'd mention it anyway. If the system is looking in C: but it needs to see D: could this be the problem??)

#5 Larry Cutliffe

Larry Cutliffe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi Robin,

If you can get to a command prompt. Type: chkdsk /f C:

This should check the integrity of the drive and repair any issues if there are any. It's good to rule that out.

Is this your only PC?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi Rockin'Robin

There are multiple ways to rescue your data.

1) Use a live Linux CD

You can use any live Linux CD to boot from CD drive and copy all the data you want. I recommend 'Puppy' Linux for it. (You can use any other distro like Ubuntu)

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

2) You can use the System repair disc or Windows install DVD to copy all data with familiar explorer interface.

To do this you only need to download a small program named Explorer++. Download it from - http://explorerplusplus.com/download

Extract it to the root of a pendrive and boot the system using either Windows DVD or repair CD with the pendrive plugged in to the system. 

Now open command prompt .If you use Win7 DVD to boot press "Shift+F10" when it shows "Install now" screen to quickly open a command prompt. 

Type 'notepad' in the CMD window to open notepad. Then open notepad's file browse window (File--->Open)

You will be able to see all your partitions. Open 'removable disk' and double click "explorer++.exe" to open it. Now you can see the familiar Windows explorer like interface. You can copy or move your data to the desired location. 

You can also open 'Explorer++' via CMD prompt if you know basic DOS commands. 

Your question about drive letter :

If you install Win 7 by yourself you may notice that the installer creating a 100MB system partition. This is the partition one and your "C" drive is actually the second partition. It is normal for Win 7 and 8 to assign letter "C" to the drive it is installed. That is even if you install Windows on the fourth partition it will still be assigned letter "C" inside Windows registry. System repair disc is a mini OS which won't use installed OS registry. It assigns drive letters in the order of partitions created. That is System reserved will get letter C and second partition get letter D etc. So it is normal to see ypur "C" drive as "D" in recovery command prompt.

Most of the Compaq Laptops do have a built in HDD fitness test. Use that to test and make sure if the HDD is in good condition.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00439024

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#7 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

THANKS to both of you! :flowers:

I ordered the OEM recovery disc from HP yesterday. Only $15 including shipping. Figured this was my easiest option if it works.

Should be here later this week so I will try to get my data recovered this way before the other options Anshad offered.

@Larry:

I will check this this evening and no, this is not my only computer.

I have access to my son's computer as well as my old faithful Dell desktop.

@Anshad:

THANKS for the advice! If the recovery disc soesn't work you will probably see another post here to help me better understand your instructions.

Again I am SEMI tech savvy so I will probably need some assistance if your options prove necessary!

THANKS again to you!

Robin

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi Rockin'Robin

You are welcome to ask any doubts  :)

#9 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi Robin,

If you can get to a command prompt. Type: chkdsk /f C:

This should check the integrity of the drive and repair any issues if there are any. It's good to rule that out.

Is this your only PC?

Did the check disk:
"Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. " so this looks like good news.

Will let you know progress when OEM recovery disk arrives later this week.
THANKS!

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Don't forget to backup the data and test you HDD for errors using built in self test. I found a nice guide with picture illustration on how to backup data using Win 7 DVD (or repair disc)

Tip : Your "Desktop" and "Documents" folders are located inside "Users\<username>" folder on the C drive (in DVD it is D:)

For example if your username is "Computer" then your desktop is located in "Users\Computer\Desktop"  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 April 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#11 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Don't forget to backup the data and test you HDD for errors using built in self test. I found a nice guide with picture illustration on how to backup data using Win 7 DVD (or repair disc)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/93347-copy-paste-windows-recovery-console.html

Tip : Your "Desktop" and "Documents" folders are located inside "Users\" folder on the C drive (in DVD it is D:)

For example if your username is "Computer" then your desktop is located in "Users\Computer\Desktop"

Well, it took a few tries but I finally was able to get all my files backed up to my brand new Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive using the copy and paste method you posted. THANKS!!

It wouldn't work at first I think because I was trying to copy too large of a file to the external drive.
Trying to copy ALL of my user files at the same time just didn't want to paste but once I began to copy and paste my individual folders it worked like a charm!!

As of this minute I am running the OEM recovery DVD to see wether or not the hard drive is toast. When I ran the check disk utility it said there were no errors but when I did the built in self test I got the QUICK1 (303) error which seems to indicate that the hard drive might be fried??
Guess I will know in about an hour or so.

Again, THANKS to both of you for your assistance.
I KNEW there had to be a way to get to my files before I wiped the hard drive with a clean install of Windows.
Anshad, your copy and paste method proved to be the easiest by far!!!
So again, MANY THANKS!!!
Sincerely,
Robin

#12 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Okay,
All three OEM Recovery disks seemed to load smoothly,

But...
After the last disk (supplemental drivers, etc.) ejected it says to press continue to reboot and continue with the reinstall.
Upon rebooting I see a black screen that looks like a command prompt window which says

BOOTMGR is missing (dumb question...wasn't that on the recovery disc??)
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

Restart gives same message over and over??

Any ideas??

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi

Which option you selected when starting recovery ? 

If you don't selected the 'factory image restore' (the option to wipe full hard disk ) only C drive will be formatted and the boot code may not be updated properly. So make sure to use the full recovery option.

#14 Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Anshad,
The ONLY option using the HP recovery disk I ordered from HP IS full restore.
This does (is supposed to) wipe the entire hard drive back to clean factory install.
Have tried this more than once using repair disk ordered from HP.
YouTube has a couple repair options shown for BOOTMGR missing using the command prompt?
Haven't attempted any of these as I am unsure how to proceed and do not want to cause permanent damage.

Now that i have been able to backup my user files, I am going to use the built in recovery option installed on the hard drive AGAIN this morning and see how that goes.

If you feel it necessary for me to use the command prompt to fix this I am willing to try.
I am not afraid to try and I am very good at following instructions!

Currently trying the OEM repair disk (the one i ordered) one more time without installing the driver and application DVD that came with the other two disks.

Again, many thanks!!

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Before you do any repair or reinstall operation i strongly recommend you to run a full surface scan of you HDD. Most of the Compaq and HP laptops came with the built in HDD self test as i said in my previous post. Here is an instruction on how to do that from BIOS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00439024

You can also invoke the HDD test by pressing F2 when powering on. If the self test succeeds download and run seagate seatools DOS version and run a long test. This will thoroughly test your HDD surface for bad sectors.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

This will work with all manufacturer's HDD .

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2013 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users