Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Officejet Pro 8600 doesn't work with refilled OEM cartridges

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 that I bought new about 6 months ago. I bought an HP-branded 950XL Black cartridge for it and it just ran out of ink. I refilled it using ink from a refill company that I've used many times over the years in other HP printers, and I followed the instructions on refilling it which included having to drill it through the little ball on the bottom to get ink into it & then plugging the hole, which worked out fine. But when I try to print now, it says the cartridge is depleted.

Here's what all I've tried --- I've been told this printer has a menu item that says "Cartridge Chip Information" that would allow me to stop it from checking the cartridge chip, but mine doesn't, so I'm guessing that's an older model. While searching for a solution, I noticed that at least one other person has the same problem with not having that menu item & they never found any help for it either. I tried reinstalling the printer & the software, but no luck. I also tried the alleged factory reset method, but it doesn't work; that's where you turn it off, wait 10 secs, then turn it back and press the leff arrow 4 times when it first comes on. I tried this at various points that might constitute the generic phrase "when it first comes on", including when the green power button lights up, when the HP splash screen starts, when the PC gives me a notification that it recognizes the printer is on, and after the main menu comes up, all to no avail. FYI, there's nothing in user manual about resetting anything except the network info. I also couldn't access the alleged "secret menu". I also tried unplugging it & replugging it in, also cutting off the power source abruptly at the surge supressor I use, both with no luck.

If there is no workaround on this, I'm getting rid of it & will look for another inkjet printer that can copy/scan/print & will allow me to use either remanufactured OEM cartridges or generic cartridges to refill on my own. Any suggestions for one that will give me little problem with that & will run on Windows 7 Ultimate OS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I've done a lot of research on this today and it seems that you can't swap out or reset an HP OEM cartridge chip anymore, but you don't need to.  The trick is simply to use 2 OEM cartridges.  You can't refill one & put it right back in --- you have to use a different one, but you can swap them out each time.  Apparently the printer knows if the previous cartridge was put back into it, but it can only remember the last one, so if you use cartridge #1 & it goes empty, put cartridge #2 in, then when #2 empties, you put #1 (refilled) back in and it should work, and then refill & use #2 when the refilled #1 goes empty.  Note that I haven't tried this, but I saw more than 1 site that said it worked, including this YouTube video:

I'll try this and see what happens.  Any other suggestions (that truly work on this printer/cartridge) are welcomed.  I've seen that some HP inkjets can have their chip swapped out, but this generation of printers/cartridges seems to have caught on.  I imagine the next generation will blackball any cartridge that has ever been used anywhere, or the cartridge itself will go bad after the 1st use.  Too much money is riding on this for HP to not make an effort to thwart refills for good.  The only way it's going to change is for Congress or someone with deep pockets suing them to stop them from polluting the environment with empty cartridges & using monopolistic business practices to secure their profits.

#3 Anony Mous

Anony Mous

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Cartridge Recognition And/Or Cartridge Protection Feature

http://www.compandsave.com/Troubleshooting_Remanufactured_Ink_Toner_a/172.htm

HP 932XL/933XL/950XL/951XL Cartridge Non-Recognition Message

1. On the printer control panel, touch (right arrow), and then touch (Setup).
  2. Select (Preferences), and then select (Cartridge Chip Information).
  3. Touch (OK) to turn off the usage information collection.

HP 950XL/951XL Cartridge Protection

On the printer:

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

1. On the printer control panel, touch (right arrow), and then touch (Setup).
  2. Select (Preferences), and then select (Cartridge Chip Information).
  3. Touch (OK) to turn off usage information collection.

HP OfficeJet Pro 8100

1. On the printer control panel, press and hold the (Wireless) and (Resume) buttons.
  2. The ink supply icons will blink four times.
  3. Press and hold the (Wireless) and (Resume) buttons again to turn usage information collection back on.

Next on the computer: (See image below - available on website only.)

The HP Officejet 8100 and 8600 has a “cartridge protection” feature. In the toolbox there is a tab named “HP Cartridge Protection”, where you can choose if you want to enable or disable this function. The default setting here is “enable” which results in the cartridges only working in this particular printer. If you install the cartridges treated with this “protection” feature in another printer, they will not work and a message pops up.

Printer Warranty

• Use of remanufactured or compatible cartridges does not void your warranty as stated by the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY IMPROVEMENT ACT, United States Code Annotated Title 15 Commerce Trade Chapter 50, Consumer Product Warranties 15 Sections 2302.

#4 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

If you had read my previous post even halfway, you would have seen that my printer menu doesn't even offer that option.  However, this is all pointless --- all you have to do is buy 2 cartridges & alternate/swap out each time with each other, i.e., don't take an empty one out, refill it, then put it right back in --- you have to alternate them.  I said this also on the previous post.  I've been doing this since the last post I made & it works fine.

#5 loveroftexas

loveroftexas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I received the Printer failure  or ink cartridge error and have tried everything that I can find.  Because there is nothing but a digital board I cannot press the 6 key or any other suggestions about getting to the support menu.  Cannot get anything but the error message to display. I have tried to locate the comos battery to reset and have not been able to.   Have cleaned printhead, done all types of reset --nothing works.   At this point my long history of purchasing HP is gone.  I purchased this printer Aug 13 and am already not able to use it and not able to troubleshoot it .  The cost of the HP ink is outrageous so I had been using generic ink purchased from a reputable store but even going & purchasing HP ink (color combo pack at Wal Mart $57) and putting it in has not resolved the problem.   To the trash can and I am off to buy my first Brother printer.  (real estate agent who has purchased over 15 HP printers in the past.  I currently have 5 Hp printers & my one and only Dell laser)

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

The swapping between two cartridges works on just about all the units HP makes.  Some tricks involving a nine volt battery across two specific terminals to destroy the chip inside without damaging any of the jet circuits.  Compaq started the chip in the cartridge with their network printers and was an outgrowth from the laser unit toner/photo drum cartridges.

#7 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

I received the Printer failure  or ink cartridge error and have tried everything that I can find.  Because there is nothing but a digital board I cannot press the 6 key or any other suggestions about getting to the support menu.  Cannot get anything but the error message to display. I have tried to locate the comos battery to reset and have not been able to.   Have cleaned printhead, done all types of reset --nothing works.   At this point my long history of purchasing HP is gone.  I purchased this printer Aug 13 and am already not able to use it and not able to troubleshoot it .  The cost of the HP ink is outrageous so I had been using generic ink purchased from a reputable store but even going & purchasing HP ink (color combo pack at Wal Mart $57) and putting it in has not resolved the problem.   To the trash can and I am off to buy my first Brother printer.  (real estate agent who has purchased over 15 HP printers in the past.  I currently have 5 Hp printers & my one and only Dell laser)

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

Cartridges have become the biggest cost for most home users.  Some are offered in an "XL" versions but mostly for black and not the tri-color.  I keep  two new carts for photos, printing large numbers and then keeping fresh with refilled but only for paper prints.  Many of the colorjet, photojet or deskjet units have differing control panels with equally different menus and options, even within a single model.  The all in one units can often be rendered inop by just a faulty or empty cartridge.  Hp offers a full line of units from $50.  to $150. and the ink carts are often worth more than the printer itself.  Repair??  the lower priced units under warranty will get a whole new unit and the user need not send the broken one back to the mfgr.  One trick I tried was to install a different cartridge, regardless of condition, just to get the buffer or whatever reset. Then putting the refilled unit  in place.  Some refill inks are not all that compatible with the HP carridges and will lead to more clogging in the nozzles or drying out in the "home " position and causing a strt-up fault when the carriage can't move.

#9 AltF1

AltF1

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

If you had read my previous post even halfway, you would have seen that my printer menu doesn't even offer that option.  However, this is all pointless --- all you have to do is buy 2 cartridges & alternate/swap out each time with each other, i.e., don't take an empty one out, refill it, then put it right back in --- you have to alternate them.  I said this also on the previous post.  I've been doing this since the last post I made & it works fine.

Can you please tell me if you are swapping the Setup cartridges with a new original HP cartridge, or two new HP original cartridges ?

Thanks

Edited by AltF1, 06 January 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#10 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

I haven't tried to refill/reuse a "setup" cartridge (the new cartridge that a new unit comes with), but I have one here & it looks identical in size & shape except for the words "SETUP CARTRIDGE" in red on it, and I imagine the chip could possibly be different to disallow refilling, but I doubt it considering that any other can be refilled, and if they're going to go to the expense & trouble of blocking those for reuse, why not block them all?  

Also note that you can use any USED cartridge --- it doesn't have to be new.  

I've found out that every generic cartridge I've tried either leaks and/or doesn't work well, so I've stuck with HP cartridges only, but I'm mainly using used cartridges when I swap them out as I've started buying used empty ones & refilling them, not to mention that I would refill one that I bought new as well if I still bought new ones, which is pointless when there are so many used empty ones available for purchase.  

I've found that after about the 4th or 5th refilling, the gold contacts on the cartridges apparently go bad as they stop dispensing ink & they have to be thrown away, so the claims some sellers make that you spend only $1 or less per cartridge to refill is not correct, as you have to amortize the cost of the replacement cartridge into the equation, BUT . . . if you get a used one for like $7 & then refill it 4 times with ink that costs about 50 cents per refill, your costs will be under $2 each ($0.50 x 4 = $2 + $7 cartridge purchase = $9 / 5 uses = >$2 each), and that beats $18 to $35 each by a country mile.

Edited by EllisDeTripp, 07 January 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#11 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Cartridges have become the biggest cost for most home users.  Some are offered in an "XL" versions but mostly for black and not the tri-color.  I keep  two new carts for photos, printing large numbers and then keeping fresh with refilled but only for paper prints.  Many of the colorjet, photojet or deskjet units have differing control panels with equally different menus and options, even within a single model.  The all in one units can often be rendered inop by just a faulty or empty cartridge.  Hp offers a full line of units from $50.  to $150. and the ink carts are often worth more than the printer itself.  Repair??  the lower priced units under warranty will get a whole new unit and the user need not send the broken one back to the mfgr.  One trick I tried was to install a different cartridge, regardless of condition, just to get the buffer or whatever reset. Then putting the refilled unit  in place.  Some refill inks are not all that compatible with the HP carridges and will lead to more clogging in the nozzles or drying out in the "home " position and causing a strt-up fault when the carriage can't move.

I have bought color 951XL cartridges, but they are hard to find.  I have some here now.

#12 AltF1

AltF1

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:11 AM

I haven't tried to refill/reuse a "setup" cartridge (the new cartridge that a new unit comes with), but I have one here & it looks identical in size & shape except for the words "SETUP CARTRIDGE" in red on it, and I imagine the chip could possibly be different to disallow refilling, but I doubt it considering that any other can be refilled, and if they're going to go to the expense & trouble of blocking those for reuse, why not block them all?  

I've found out that every generic cartridge I've tried either leaks and/or doesn't work well, so I've stuck with HP cartridges only, but I'm mainly using used cartridges when I swap them out as I've started buying used empty ones & refilling them, not to mention that I would refill one that I bought new as well if I still bought new ones, which is pointless when there are so many used empty ones available for purchase.  

I've found that after about the 4th or 5th refilling, the print heads go back & they have to be thrown away,

Hi and thank you for your valuable information.

Are you swapping two non setup Hp cartridges or you are refilling each time a different cartridge ?

Do you know if this printer the print heads are integrated in the cartridge or not ?

Edited by AltF1, 07 January 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#13 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

I've found that after about the 4th or 5th refilling, the print heads go back & they have to be thrown away,

Hi and thank you for your valuable information.

Are you swapping two non setup Hp cartridges or you are refilling each time a different cartridge ?

Do you know if this printer the print heads are integrated in the cartridge or not ?

I was using incorrect terminology --- I meant the gold contacts on the cartridge seem to go bad after the 4th or 5th reuse as the cartridge stops dispensing ink; at least that what I believe it must be, as I can put another refilled cartridge in that hasn't been reused too much & it works.  i will edit that post to correct it.  I use 2 used HP-branded cartridges that I have refilled & I swap them out.  They are not "setup" cartridges, but I don't believe that would matter, though I haven't tried reusing a "setup" cartridge.  I say that because they appear to be exactly the same & I can't imagine that any technology embedded on the cartridge would prevent them from being reused, as the same technology could prevent ANY cartridge from being reused & that's not the case at the moment with standard cartridges.  

As a recap, you only need 2 cartridges, you have to swap the out with each other (can't refill one & put it right back in; you have to take "X" cartridge out & replace it with "Y" cartridge, and when "Y" runs out, refill & put "X" back in, then when that runs out, refill & put "Y" back in & keep doing this until they no longer work anymore), they can be used cartridges (not more than about 4 or 5 times refilled typically, as the gold contacts will stop working to dispense ink), they should be HP-branded (although a good generic might work, I've never had any luck with them) and you can try using a "setup" cartridge as it should work (no experience doing that, but it looks the same architecturally).  You can buy empty used HP cartridges on eBay & other sites.  I don't know if the expiration dates are an issue as I've never used an expired one as they stop working for me long before they expire.  You can also find color HP XL cartridges if you search long enough for them.

#14 AltF1

AltF1

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

I've found what seems a reliable refill kit here but the bad thing is that replacement chips have a limited capacity in the number of page that they can print.

Now I'm trying to find some depleted HP-branded cartridges ...

#15 EllisDeTripp

EllisDeTripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

As far as refilling, any long-needle large syringe with a big reservoir capacity of at least 15ML will work.  One note is that I've been told that HP ink is different than some other brand's ink, so I would stick with refill kits sold on eBay that are generic, yet meant for HP printers, and I would get 4 small bottles of the ink (one for each color), then 4 large bottles for best value, then refill the small bottles with the large bottles.  The large bottles are about impossible to use once they get about 25% empty (or 75% full if you're an optimist - LOL).  I use 4 separate syringes so that the inks don't integrate with each other & I clean them each time anyway by sucking up water from a disposable cup & shooting it out about 4 or 5 times into a stainless steel kitchen sink that won't stain from the ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users