Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing MBR Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chad556

Chad556

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

I am at my wits end. I have tried just about every option I can find on the internet and nothing works. I even broke down and went to the dreaded PC repair place down the street and they too, said they cant fix it, but please pay us $100 for trying. 

Here's the scoop. Its a home build PC and has been running flawlessly for 3 months. I turn off the PC and go on a week long vacation, and when I come back and turn it back on... nothing. I get a message that says Missing MBR, press cntl alt delete to restart. My first line of defense was the windows 7 install disk, and running a startup repair. What I immediately notice is that there is no windows installation listed on my drive... its a blank white box. Ok, it says if no installation is found to install the drivers for the drive. Its an SSD drive so, there are no drivers per say, however whats odd, is when I click the load drivers button, it shows me the SSD that windows 7 is supposed to be on, and all the files appear to be intact, and there. So the drive has not been erased, its just not booting. I have 3 SSD drives. 1 is for the OS only, and the other 2 are for programs. The PC repair place wanted to just wipe the SSD drive clean and do a fresh install of windows. That would be fine and dandy except for the fact that with a clean registry, I would no longer be able to run the vital programs on the other 2 SSD drives correct? I'm really stressing out here, and my business is losing money by the hour while my computer is dead. 

I have seen a couple posters in here suffer from what seems like a similar problem and after amazing help from the fine folks here at BC, they have had success. The process seemed a bit grueling, but in the end their computer was working fine without having to do a clean install of Win7. With all of that said, I beg of thee fine gurus out there to lend a virtual hand at helping fix this issue. I will even donate $100 to whoever can fix my computer running again. The donation can be made to you, this site, or a charity of your choice. I'm that serious and desperate to get this computer running again. 

PS, the one post that really caught my eye was this one. This is the type of help I think I need...lol! http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/439320/windows-7-will-not-boot-no-matter-what-options-i-try/

Respectfully,

Chad B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

hi Chad556

Can you post the full spec of your PC? (CPU, motherboard,optical drive etc) Which version of Win7 you installed ? . Which partition scheme used ? (GPT or MBR)

As a preliminary step enter in to the BIOS and make sure all 3 drives are detected. If all drives are detected disconnect all but the drive with OS in it. Now try boot from it.

#3 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

boot your computer.  continuously click f8. does it give you options? go into safe mode.

---

sorry, did not notice your reply anshad.

Edited by WalkingAtNight, 27 April 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#4 Chad556

Chad556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

Mobo: Intel Extreme Series ATX 2400MHz (Socket 2011) DX79SR
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 6 Core OC'd at 4.6ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 690 4gb Dual GPU 512-bit GDDR5
Mem: PNY 4 X 4gb PC3-17000 DDR3 CAS 10 2133mhz (16gb Total)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Cooler: Hydro Series H100
SSD: 2 X 256gb OCZ Vertex 4 SAT3, 1 128gb OCZ Agility 3 SAT3 (runs OS)
PSU: Rosewill RBR1000-M 1000-Watt Bronze Series
TIM: Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
Optical: ASUS BC-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray BD-ROM/ 16X DVD+RW DL SATA Drive

I have already tried disconnecting the 2 256gb SSD's leaving only the SSD with Windows connected, and still get the Missing MBR. BIOS is seeing all 3 drives correctly. I have no idea which partition scheme I used, sorry. 

#5 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

try booting from the windows 7 dvd. go into repair your computer.  continue onto the system recovery options, choose command prompt.

type: bootrec.exe /FixMbr and press enter.

#6 Chad556

Chad556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

try booting from the windows 7 dvd. go into repair your computer.  continue onto the system recovery options, choose command prompt.

type: bootrec.exe /FixMbr and press enter.

Tried that, no success.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi Chad556

Did you try replacing SATA cable ?. If you don't have a spare cable swap one with the slave drive. HDD related problems can often caused by bad cable. Also enter to the BIOS and load 'Optimal defaults' to make sure none of the BIOS settings caused the issue.

If replacing cable and issuing all the MBR repair commands (in the link provided by dc3) failed then download "Partition Wizard Home" live CD (small, below 40 MB) from the following link and boot from it. http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Let us know if you can see all you partitions and also report the type of partitioning displayed by the cd (it will be either "Basic" or 'Dynamic'). If possible posting a closeup screenshot will be very help full.

Do you have any live Linux CD or USB available ? . You can use a live linux cd to access the system and copy data. If you have access to a working Win 7 Laptop or PC and if you still have the install media, you can easily make a live Win 7 disc like UBCD4WIN. We can run some very useful diagnostics and repair tools from the Win7 live CD and it is far better than live Linux CD for repair purpose. Let me know if you have a spare PC and i will provide further instructions. 

Side note :

If i am in your position, i will never buy 3 SSD. Instead i will buy an SSD and 2 HDD. SSD is fast so can be used as the boot drive but it is short in lifespan so it is not wise to save important data on it. If an HDD failed you can use professional data recovery services and rescue the data but if an SSD failed data will be gone forever (in most cases).

Also it is important to note that defraging an SSD will considerably reduce it's life time.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 27 April 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#9 Chad556

Chad556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Again, the biggest issue here is that when I go into the system recovery options, it shows no windows installations. the box is blank.

image250.png

This is not my screenshot. On my system, no installation shows at all. The box is blank. I can however see the windows files fine when clicking the "load drivers" tab.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hi Chad556

Can you see all you partitions in the installation screen ?. Also what you can see with partition wizard ? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users