I have two Hotmail accounts -- one I use for work-related, and one for personal. I usually access them from home with Outlook 2010.
About a week ago, the one I use for Personal stopped getting new messages. I later found out I couldn't send any either, they were just being stored in the "Out" box. When I checked the status bar, I saw the "#80041004 - Error in Synchronizing Folder Hierarchy" error. I was able to log on, however, through www.hotmail.com
I immediately started searching the web for answers, and I tried everything that was suggested:
- Checked the date/time on my computer
- Checked the "Proxy Server" settings in both Firefox and IE
- Making sure all the folders were in the root directory
- Removed the account, and tried to re-add it
- Removed the entire profile and tried to create a new one
Here's TWO funny things:
1) A few days ago (can't remember which day,) I had Office open (for my other email acct) and all of a sudden, the "broken" email account downloaded a few messages. I was glad, thinking it might have just been a temporary glitch, but the next day, it stopped again.
2) I got the bright idea to open "Windows Live Mail (which I used to use), but when I entered my password (it's changed since I last used it) it tells me it's not valid. It's the same password I use on www.hotmail.com, so I don't know why it won't work. Ever since I tried it, I'm not unable to re-add the Account in Office -- I'm getting a "0x80041059 Unknown Error" when searching for my Server Settings. Now I get a "We were unable to sign in to your account. Please try again. Could not authenticate against the Windows Live ID service. Please try again later."
I'm not sure if this is on my end or Hotmail's, but it's really getting on my nerves. Thanks for any help!