Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start Windows Defender: Error code 0x80070422

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wmm1984

wmm1984

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm running Windows 7, and I get Error code 0x80070422 when I try to enable Windows Defender.

Possibly related: I also can't enable Windows Firewall (I select "use recommended settings," and nothing happens), and when I run the firewall fix it diagnostic from http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/, I get "we're worry, but the program encountered an error trying to contact the server. Please try again later. [Code 80092009]"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hi wmm,

Can you give a little input as to when this started happening?  Infections can make this happen as well.

1. Click on start, type Services.msc and click enter

2. Click Windows Defender Service

3. Right Click and Go to Properties

4. Start the service and also make it Automatic.

Additionally, you might want to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and do check for malware just in case.

Hope it helps :)

Edited by WalkingAtNight, 26 April 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#3 wmm1984

wmm1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

About a week ago, I noticed the Internet was super slow. Figured it was virus/malware related, so I went to check Defender and Firewall, and lo and behold, they were disabled.

The Services.msc trick worked! Defender is back up and running. thank you! Unfortunately the same trick didn't work for the firewall. That got an error message saying "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."

Malwarebytes didn't find anything.

#4 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hi wmm,

Defender back up??  :thumbup2:

So, for your firewall..  I ended up doing a google search using your quotes "Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."  Check it out.. This is what i found.. Hope it works :)

Windows 7 firewall service won't start

#5 wmm1984

wmm1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

That did it! Thank you!

#6 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight