Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One system beep on start up and beyond!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Acer Aspire 5315. Vista Home Basic. I know, this laptop is old but my daughter loves it. I need to get all her stuff off it. The deal is this: she has had to use two external fans for a couple of years, one behind and a cool fan on the bottom. When it got hot, it just stopped, which is what we all expect. Now, I can turn it on, get one beep, it boots up, continues one beep (those are short beeps). Everything boots up and I can click on what I want for awhile, still with the beeps, then it shuts down. I tried to see if I could find a list for this system but most of them are no help. What I think is happening is either the cmos battery is dead or the fan quit. I have a few batteries in my stuff and a few fans that may fit here, but I need to have some input before I take this one apart. Any ideas? Hi guys whom I know!! Been awhile but then that is a good thing. No major problems until now. Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Edited by anyrepli, 26 April 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hi JannEd

First try cleaning your RAM. Take out the RAM from slot and use a rubber to clean it's contacts. Refer this http://h0w2.blogspot.in/2011/05/trick-to-clean-pins-of-physical-memory.html

If you have more than one RAM module clean both and only re seat one at a time. This will isolate the faulty RAM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

There is a old technique which was implemented by Bell Labs decades ago, but is still applicable in situations like this.

Rather than use a eraser (rubber) pull all of the modules and reinsert one module several times in the socket.  This cleans the surface of both the module and the socket.  Do this with the other modules and sockets.  If this doesn't resolve the issue try one module at a time in each of the sockets.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users