Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CISPA, and what it means to you.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ClearlyTrying

ClearlyTrying

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hello all,

Title is pretty self explanatory. For anyone keeping up with politics, i'm sure you already know about the proposed CISPA law. I'm just wondering how people feel about it(Positive or negative); would it make you want to browse anonymously?

Regards,

ClearlyTrying

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 April 2013 - 06:27 PM.
Moved to General Chat. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

As far as I understand it, The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) is yet another attempted data grab by government similar to the attempt by the UK government to set up an ID card database on every citizen. Always, of course, with the best of intentions. Usually improving security or protecting the weak or stopping paedophiles.

I cannot speak for the US government's competence in this area - I am not a US citizen and I don't live in the US - but our government's record on any sort of large IT project is appalling, and their record on data security is not good, to put it kindly. I think our Inland Revenue still hold the record for the largest amount of identifiable data lost in one go in the UK.

The idea behind the act is quite good - there is considerable evidence that cyber security problems are growing - but putting all this data in one place is not the best way to go about it. What it does do is create an irresistable target for those of an evil turn of mind.

It could be said that this is of no concern to me, as I am not an American, but this is not so. An awful lot of the data I use and a couple of web-sites I run go through US based servers even though the web-sites have .org.uk registrations. I really don't want my data being collected into a central database operated by an organisation which may not have great competence at running projects of this magnitude !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ClearlyTrying

ClearlyTrying
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Chris,

It certainly sounds like you will be effected by this proposed law. I would argue that it does concern you :P None the less, your opinion is respected and appreciated.

I do think their intentions may be good. I'm just not convinced that sacrificing liberties for "security", is the best solution. Thanks for the reply!  :thumbsup:

ClearlyTrying

Edited by ClearlyTrying, 27 April 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

As I have said for many many years regardless of which political party is at the helm. I love my country, I fear my government. After all, any and every project funded by the US government is contracted to the lowest bidder....... Think about it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

This was taken from here: http://www.thecitizen.com/node/13620

Wal-Mart vs. The Government Morons

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans… Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature

It is now official that the majority of you are corrupt morons:

a.. The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775. You have had 237 years
to get it right and it is broke.

b.. Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 77 years to get it
right and it is broke.

c.. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 74 years to get it right
and it is broke.

d.. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 48 years to get it right;
$1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the
poor" and they only want more.

e.. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 47 years
to get it right and they are broke.

f.. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 42 years to get it right
and it is broke.

g.. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence
on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion
a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 35 years to get it right
and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars.

AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED
WITH CISPA?

Changed the last sentence than what was posted on the website.

Edited by herg62123, 28 April 2013 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Animal,

I fear you are right.

If I understand your post correctly, it was a fellow countryman of yours - although the record is not clear as to exactly which fellow countryman - who said "That governs best which governs least."

At least your government gives the contract to the lowest bidder. I cannot say the same for mine - aircraft carriers; marine surveillance aircraft; rifles even !  I mean, how do you screw up a contract to design and build a rifle ?

Chris Cosgrove

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”
Thomas Jefferson

Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 ClearlyTrying

ClearlyTrying
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”
Thomas Jefferson

Pretty much sums it up  :trumpet:

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

It appears that some people are not waiting for CISPA !  This link is to an article in 'The Register' which suggests that the FBI are seeking powers to levy fairly serious fines on any technical communications company which for whatever reason does not comply promptly with requests from the FBi

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/30/government_fines_wiretap_federal/

To be completely fair to the FBI, it seems that - reading the original article in the the 'Washington Post' - their is an element of 'voluntariness' in American court orders which is somewhat missing from British ones. Here, if the authorities get a court order and you say something like 'Sorry, too busy, or too difficult today' you will very rapidly find yourself in front of My Lord Justice ( ie a senior judge ) explaining yourself. And it had better be a dammed good explanation if you want to avoid doing some time !

Chris Cosgrove

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thomas Jefferson

Love it; but bloodshed is the price; @ cost?

Some of this bleep needs to be on darknet....3d1t

Edited by bludgard, 15 July 2013 - 11:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users